9 Best Vegetable Peelers in 2020
A vegetable peeler can go overlooked very easily. You may say to yourself; how often will you use one so what’s the point. Well, just like a lemon squeezer, even if you only need it once in a while, it is the only tool that can do its job efficiently without a lot of extra unnecessary knife work. They can even be used for so many others applications aside from peeling the outer skin from vegetables.
In this article, we will go over some of the different types of vegetable peelers as well as their overall quality and construction to look for when purchasing a new one. We will also cover some of the best vegetable peelers available for purchase on the market today and which one may be the perfect fit for you and your kitchen.
How to Choose the Best Vegetable Peeler
When it comes to choosing the best new vegetable peeler, they are kind of like apple corers as in that there really is not a lot to say. The kitchen tool hasn’t really improved in the past fifty years except for a few small additions which really don’t change the competition.
Besides the point that one model may be electric, this may be better since it is faster, but you may have less control and they will not be dishwasher safe. Maybe just a little more of a hassle in the long run of things.
However, there are other types of materials and blades to choose from which is why you want to make sure the vegetable peeler is constructed with quality materials. To back this up it is also best to find one that comes with some kind of manufacturer guarantee or a warranty to protect it from damages or defects that may occur during the shipping process or while in use.
Overall, you want to make sure the vegetable peeler is easy to use and is easy to clean. If the vegetable peeler is dishwasher safe then it is a plus that should cut down on the cleaning time.
Construction and Design
They are constructed of all different types of materials. From metals to plastics to hard enamel bodies with very sharp blades. Well no matter what it is made out of make sure the materials are of high quality. Metal vegetable peelers can break just as easily as plastic vegetable peelers. For the most part, you want to make sure the vegetable peeler is comfortable to use because they come in all kinds of shapes and styles.
Different facing direction and how some of the handles are shaped will determine the way of the stroke when peeling items. Some of the blades are straight, way or serrated for different cutting applications. Some of those blades are also either fixed or swivel to give more control when shaving.
You want to make sure the blade is very sharp and can hold its sharpness without sharpening the blade, sort of like a cheese slicer. All of these factors will depend on if the peeler is worth a damn or not. Or it could be the difference from what one person considers better than another. It really depends on the user in the end. While all of these seem to play a minimal role in when peeling, you would be surprised on which work better than others based on a couple of different factors mixed together.
Best Vegetable Peelers
OXO Good Grips Y Peeler
The Best Dragging Vegetable Peeler
This vegetable peeler was meant for peeling potatoes and doing it well. It is very well priced but does not come with a warranty to protect it. The vegetable peeler is constructed of polymer plastic and have a comfortable pinch grip in the middle. The blade is made of very sharp, straight edged stainless steel that will drag over any vegetable surface with ease.
The top of the vegetable peeler also has a built-in black eye peeler that makes it easy to dig out the black spots on potatoes while peeling them. There is a hole at the end of the handle so you can hang it anywhere you want and it is dishwasher safe so it’s very easy to clean.
- The vegetable peeler has a very comfortable grip and a built-in potato eye remover.
- The blades are constructed of stainless steel and a swivel blade removal.
- The peeler is dishwasher safe.
- While is does come at a fair price, there is no warranty to protect it.
Messermeister Pro Touch Fine Edge Swivel Peeler
The Best Swivel Blade Vegetable Peeler
This next peeler is one of the best swivel blade peelers and is able to do so much more than other peelers. The peeler is very affordable but does not come with a warranty to protect it. The peeler is designed to be used in a knife or cutting motion making it much easier to peel veggies. The body is constructed of high-quality materials and has a very comfortable soft-grip handle that is slip-resistant as well.
The stainless-steel blade will not rust, bend or break and has a swivel function which allows it to swivel around the peeler with ease making it easier to get the harder to reach areas of the vegetable. There is also a built-in potato black eye remover at the top of the peeler and a hole at the other end, in the handle which makes it easy to hang anywhere. The vegetable peeler is also dishwasher safe.
- The body of the peeler is constructed of high-quality plastic and a strong stainless steel straight edged blade.
- The blade is also designed to swivel making it easy to peel all types of vegetables.
- The handles have soft and comfortable grips that are slip resistant.
- The vegetable peeler may be very affordable but it does not come with a warranty to protect them.
Precision Kitchenware Julienne & Vegetable Peeler
The Dual Vegetable Peeler
This vegetable peeler could come in handy for a couple different applications at the same time. It is very reasonably priced and also comes with a lifetime replacement warranty. The body of the vegetable peeler is constructed of heavy-duty stainless steel which actually has some weight to it which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the user.
There are two different sides, each with a different blade. One side is straight edged for all peeling applications and the other is a julienne blade for cutting vegetables and fruits into long strips like spaghetti shaped. The handle does not have a grip or slip resistance which could be dangerous but the kitchen is dishwasher safe which makes cleanup easy.
- The vegetable peeler is constructed completely of heavy-duty stainless steel with some weight to it.
- The peeler has two different cutting tools, one for peeling and one for cutting vegetables into a julienned shaped food.
- The vegetable peeler is dishwasher safe.
- The peeler is very cheap to buy and come with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
- The peeler does not have any grips or slip resistance on the handle for comfort or safety while in use.
OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler
The Comfortable Swivel Blade Vegetable Peeler
This vegetable peeler is so much the Cadillac of comfort and style when it comes to peeler that it actually is starting to look like a Cadillac. It is more than affordable for purchase and it also comes with a warranty to protect it. The body of the peeler is made of lightweight plastic which makes it easy to handle but prone to breaking or damages.
The handle is contoured to fit fingers and has a soft and comfortable grip that is slip resistant as well. The blade is a straight edged stainless-steel swivel blade that makes it easy to peel any type of vegetable. The handle has a hole on the end of it to hang it anywhere in the kitchen and there is a built-in vegetable black eye remover at the top. The kitchen tool is easy to use and easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe as well.
- The handle has been contoured to fit a hand and has soft and comfortable grips that are slip resistant.
- The blades are constructed of stainless steel and swivels which makes it easy to peel any type of vegetable.
- The vegetable peeler is very inexpensive to purchase and also comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
- The body is made of lightweight cheap plastic which makes it prone to breaking or damages while in use.
Kuhn Rikon Original Swiss Peeler 3-Pack
The Basic Pack of Vegetable Peelers
Here is a set of 3 basic vegetable peelers that come in 3 different colors. Not a lot to say about these in terms of special features but they will get the job done. They do come at a little more of price but you also get 3 of them, however, there is no warranty to protect them. The body is made of plastic which could be prone to breaking but with a contoured handle to grip.
The blade is swivel style and straight edge style made from stainless steel. There is a small carbon steel black eye remover at one end and a hole at the other end on the handle so you can hang it on the wall in the kitchen.
- The vegetable peelers come in a set of 3 in different colors.
- The handle has a comfort grip and a hole so you can hang it on the wall.
- The blade is made of carbon steel and there is a black eye remover attached at the end of the peeler.
- The peelers are cheaply made, not dishwasher safe and there is no warranty to protect them when they all break.
KitchenAid KC112OHAQA Classic Euro Peeler
The Basic Brand Peeler
This might as well be a very basic vegetable peeler, but it has been jazzed up to disguise itself. It very affordable and also comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it. The body of the peeler is made of low-quality plastic which makes it prone to breaking and damages but has been styled to look sleek, shiny and strong.
The handle has a contoured grip that is comfortable and slip resistant. The blade is constructed of stainless steel and has a swivel feature on it that makes it easy to peeler all vegetables. The kitchen tool is also dishwasher safe and easy to use.
- The handle has been contoured to support comfort and slip resistance while in use.
- The blade is constructed of stainless steel and has a swivel function on it.
- The vegetable peeler is very affordable and comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
- The body of the vegetable peeler is constructed of low-quality plastic that may break while in use.
Kyocera Advanced Ceramic Perfect Peeler
The Innovative vegetable peeler
This vegetable peeler is little different than others in terms of comfort or usability. The peeler has a feature that allows the blade to swivel back or forth so you can peel front to back or left to right. The peeler is a little more expensive to purchase and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The body is made of lightweight plastic that is easy to handle and control. The handle also has soft and comfortable grips that are slip resistant. The blade is a ceramic blade that claims to be sharper and last longer than most of other blades as well. There is a built-in eye peeler and a hole at the other end to hang it on the wall. The peeler is very easy to use and is dishwasher safe.
- The blade has a swivel function that allows you to peel two different directions.
- The blade is ceramic which is sharper and stronger than most other blades.
- The handle has soft and comfortable grips that’s are slip resistant.
- The vegetable peeler is a little more expensive than others and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler
Another Basic Vegetable Peeler
Here is another basic vegetable peeler that has made to look stronger than it actually is. The body is constructed of lightweight cheap plastic which means it could break during use. It’s a good thing that is very affordable and is also covered by a lifetime warranty.
The handle has a soft and comfortable grip that is slip resistant and a hole at the end for hanging on the wall. The peeler has a stainless-steel swivel blade that will peel any vegetable and a built-in black eye peeler at the top. The vegetable peeler is very easy to use and easy to clean as it is also dishwasher safe.
- The handle has a soft and comfortable grip that is slip resistant.
- The stainless steel straight edged blade has swivel function making it very easy to peel vegetables.
- There is a built-in black eye remover and the kitchen tool is dishwasher safe.
- Even though it is very cheap it is also made of cheap materials and may break very easily.
The Heavy-Duty Vegetable Peeler
Here is another heavy-duty vegetable peeler that has some weight to its size. The body is constructed of solid stainless steel including the handle and the blades so it is very strong and a little heavier than most other models.
The blades have two different sides for different cutting applications or either peeler or serrated.
There are two black eye removers on either side of the peeler and the there is a hole at the end of the handle for hanging on the wall. The vegetable peeler is very easy to clean a s it is dishwasher safe and comes with a scrubbing brush or cleaning tool. The peeler is a little more expensive but does come with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
- The vegetable peeler is constructed of stainless steel and two different cutting applications, serrated or peeled.
- There is a hole on the handle for hanging on the wall and a black eye remover at the end.
- The vegetable peeler is very easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe and comes with a cleaning tool.
- The are no skip resistant grips of any kind on the handles.
- The peeler is a little more expensive and is on the heavier side in weight.
No matter which one you decide to go with really will not matter in the end. Overall, you want to make sure that you get a vegetable peeler that is easy for you to use and properly peel veggies and perform other tasks without a whole lot of trouble along the way. This could be any peeler for that matter or a very specific one, it’s up to you.