The Best Portable Grills to Buy in 2022
You might think to yourself that owning the best portable grill seems like an appliance that could be easily replaced by something else. Portable grills are very handy for cookouts, camping trips and tailgating just to name a few. But they are usable for so much more than just those events. Portable grills are also very handy for people who have limited space around their home such as apartments, inner cities and college dorms.
They even make some portable grills that can be used indoors so you could grill up some burgers in the off chance it happens to rain on the day of your backyard barbeque. They also make some portable grills that are disposable, just in case you don’t want to do a lot of cleanup afterwards or lug a grill back to your home.
In this article, we will go over some of the different types of portable grills and what to look for when choosing a new model. We will also cover some of the portable grills that are available for purchase on the market today and which one may be the best fit for you and your family.
How to Choose the Best Portable Grill
When choosing a portable grill, it is wise to make sure that the grill is made with quality materials otherwise you may end having to buy multiple grills in the future. If you have ever purchased an electric grill, then the same rules basically apply here too. To make sure the grill lasts just as long as it should, you should try to find one that comes with a manufacturer’s guarantee or some kind of warranty to protect the grill in the event of damages or defects that may occur while in use or during the shipping process.
For the most part, there are two different types of portable grills. Propane and charcoal. You should consider which one will be the best for you in terms of buying fuel and the amount of time it takes to start one.
Propane will be more expensive in the long run while charcoal can be much more affordable. However, propane will start up right away and you will be able to start cooking almost immediately while with charcoal you will have to wait 15 to 20 minutes before the charcoal is ready and the grill is hot. Some also like charcoal because of the smoky flavor the coals put off during the cooking process while propane is a much cleaner fuel where you can’t taste it as much.
You also want to make sure the grill is easy to use and easy to clean. Most of these grills will be fairly compact and easy to carry around but they will differ from model to model in terms of cleaning and user interface. Some of the grills also come with extra utensils if that is something you are looking for as well.
Construction and Design
The materials used to construct the grill will determine the type of cooking you will be better at actually accomplishing. Grills that are made with cast aluminum will be able to deliver a more evenly distributed heat across the surface which eliminates hot spots on the grill. They are also rust and corrosion proof and quite durable yet lightweight for carrying around.
A grill that is made with cast iron is going to be much heavier than aluminum but it will be able to retain heat better and deliver fast searing and cooking effects. This is similar to how an electric griddle works as well. You want to make sure to get a grill that will have a lid with an adjustable vent. This will allow you to adjust the amount of smoke and heat within the grill at any time. Most propane grills will have a lid that is attached at the back with hinges while charcoal can be removed all together.
A grill that comes with a grease catcher will come in handy for when it comes time to clean the grill. Most grills have these, the ease of use and how much they can hold will determine what type of grill you will need.
Some grills also come with a stand to place the grill upon. This is really not all that necessary as most grills will be able to be placed on just about any surface without getting too hot or causing any kind of a fire hazard. But if you need a stand for a balcony or porch then this is fine too, just make sure the stand is very sturdy and not flimsy, otherwise, the grill could fall over at any minute.
There are also some grills with folding side tables where you can place extra food, dishes or utensils while cooking which could come in handy. Or there are some with hooks to hang spatulas and forks.
You also want to think about how big of a grill you will need. There are some with very large cooking surface areas to do 15 or 20 burgers while some of the smaller models can only handle 4 or 5 at a time. Make sure the grill is also equipped with some kind of instant read thermometer so you will be able to control the temperatures easier.
Best Portable Grills
The Best Portable Grill with a Stand
If you are looking for the best portable grill with the stand then look no further cause this baby has it all. It is also very reasonably priced but does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The grill is very lightweight coming in at only 17 lbs. Total weight and very compact as well being able to fold up and carry just about anywhere. There is a stand that comes with the grill so you can use with it or place on top of a table if you prefer. The grill grates are made of porcelain enamel and has a large spacious 160-inch cooking surface area that will accommodate up to 6 people. The burners are powered by propane and has a 5,500 BTU stainless steel burner.
- Comes with a sturdy frame stand to place the grill on or on top of a table.
- Equipped with a 5,500 BTU stainless steel burner
- The grill has a 160 sq. Inch cooking surface area and weighs only 17 pounds.
- Although it is very affordable, it does not come with a warranty.
Weber 51060001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill
The Best Propane Portable Grill
Weber 51060001 Q1200 is also another great choice if you are looking for a very powerful grill. It does cost about twice as much as the last one but you get a little more bang for your buck. It also does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The grill has a very large cooking surface area of 190 square inches which is able to provide for up to 8 people. The grill grates are made of porcelain coated cast iron which are great for searing and the body is made of cast aluminum for extra added strength. The frame is reinforced steel and has an 8,500 BTU burner which is very powerful for searing or cooking. The grill is also powered by propane and has a fast-battery-operated ignition.
- The grill is equipped with a powerful 8,500 BTU burner.
- The grill has a large cooking surface area of 190 square inches.
- The grill grates are porcelain coated cast iron which are great for fast searing.
- The grill does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill
The Largest Portable Propane Grill
This next grill has a staggering 285 square inches of cooking surface area which is enough to feed an army. It is priced fairly high and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The grill has a collapsible stand that has wheels on it so it is easy to transport. The grill has 3 independent burners with 25,000 BTU of power. There is also a water pan to catch all grease that may fall while cooking. There are also two folding side tables to place extra gear upon.
- The grill has 3 burners with 25,000 BTU of power.
- It has a collapsible stand with wheels attached.
- There are two folding side tables attached.
- The grill is price very high and does not come with a warranty.
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
The Sturdiest Portable Grill
This grill has a very strong construction that is easy to take on the go. It is priced very moderately but does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The grill is constructed of cast aluminum and has two stainless steel latches to keep the lid closed while transporting. The legs are also made with a high impact frame to create more strength. The grill grates are constructed of stainless steel and has an infrared heating system for perfect grilling. There is also a temperature gauge attached within the grill.
- The grill has a high impact frame with sturdy legs attached.
- The grill is constructed of lightweight cast aluminum with stainless steel grates.
- The lid is able to be latched closed while travelling.
- While it is priced well, there is no warranty to protect it.
Cuisinart CGG-059 Propane Portable Grill
The Strongest Portable Grill
This portable grill is available for any large family that likes to campout or go on picnics often. It is priced fairly high though but does come with a warranty to protect it. The grill has a large cooking surface area of 146 square inches and the grill grates are enamel steel which heat up well and are also dishwasher safe.
The tank is powered by a 1-pound propane tank that sits off to the side and is able to push 8,000 BTU’s of heat at once on the grill. The lid also locks down in place to keep it safe when traveling. There is a temperature gauge and a one button ignition switch as well. It is fairly large though and does not breakdown for storing or traveling but does only weight about 10 pounds.
- The grill has a large cooking surface area of 146 square inches and the grill grates are dishwasher safe.
- The lid locks in place and the actual grill itself weighs only 10 pounds without the propane tank.
- The grill is equipped with a temperature gauge and is able to push 8,000 BTU’s of heat on to the grill at once.
- While it does come with a warranty, it is fairly expensive to purchase.
- It does not break down making it not very convenient for traveling or storing.
Blackstone Grills Tailgater
The Best Tailgating Grill
This grill is perfect for any large sporting event because it has both a portable grill and a griddle all in one. The grill is priced well for what it can do and it comes with a lifetime warranty for returns only.
The burners of the grill are both independent and can put out 15,000 BTU of grilling power. The entire grill including the grill grates, griddle, frame and box are all made of cast iron. This makes everything very strong and great for conducting heat longer but also makes everything very heavy. The grill also sits on a collapsible stand.
- The grill is a 2-in-1 grill and griddle combo with 15,000 BTU of grilling power on two burners.
- There is a collapsible stand attached to the grill.
- The grill is well priced and comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
The Best Charcoal Portable Grill
This is a very basic model of charcoal grill which is lightweight and easy to transport. The model is also very cheap to purchase but does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The body, lid and grilling grates are all made of enamel coated stainless steel that will not rust overtime and will retain heat very well. The lid also is vented to control heat and smoke inside the grill. The cooking surface area is 160 square inches which can cook up to 6 burgers at once.
- The grill is constructed of enamel coated stainless steel which will retain heat and not rust over time.
- The cooking surface area is 160 square inches.
- The grill is lightweight and the lid is vented to control the heat easily.
- While the grill is very cheap there is no warranty to protect it.
Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill
The Best Cast Iron Charcoal Grill
This grill is made by a well trusted company who specializes in cast iron cookware. The grill is well priced but does not come with a warranty.
The grill is completely made of cast iron which makes it easy to retain heat but makes the grill very heavy overall. The grill grates also have two adjustable heights for cooking. There is a latched door that allows you to control the heat and move the coals underneath. The grill is also preseason and will last forever if it is treated properly and away from rain or moisture.
- The grill is able to retain heat very well.
- The grill grates have two different levels of cooking height.
- There is a latched door that allows you to adjust the heat by moving the coals.
- The grill is very heavy for transporting and needs to be seasoned.
- There is no warranty to protect it.
Megamaster 820-0065C Propane Gas Grill
The Easiest to Use Propane Grill
This portable propane grill will work great for anyone that needs to cook a lot of food. It is pretty expensive though and does not come with a warranty to protect it. The large firebox is constructed of enamel porcelain that will retain heat well and has a lid that locks in place to contain everything inside.
The grill grates are mad of stainless steel and has a large cooking surface area of 360 square inches that is able to cook up to 18 burgers at once. The heating source is controlled by a dial thermostat and is able to push 11,000 BTU’s of heat. It also has a built-in thermometer and the legs that hold the grill up will also fold in to make storing easier. It is not dishwasher safe and needs to be cleaned by hand like a regular grill.
- The handles are cool to touch, it has a lid that locks in place and a built-in thermometer.
- The firebox is constructed of enamel porcelain that will retain heat very well and the burners are able to push 11,000 BTU’s of heat.
- The grill has a large cooking surface area of 360 square inches and can cook up to 18 burgers all at one time.
- The portable grill is actually pretty expensive and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
- It is not dishwasher safe and needs to be cleaned by hand.
Depending on the type of grill you decide to go with, make sure it is constructed of quality materials so that you won’t have to keep buying a new grill every year. There are not many with warranties so choose wisely. If you are on a budget then look into charcoal but if money is not a problem, then your best bet is to get a propane grill that comes highly recommended.
You may also like
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Portable Grill
- Best Portable Grills
- Cuisinart CGG-180
- Weber 51060001 Q1200 Liquid Propane Grill
- Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill
- Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
- Cuisinart CGG-059 Propane Portable Grill
- Blackstone Grills Tailgater
- Weber 121020 Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill
- Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman’s Grill
- Megamaster 820-0065C Propane Gas Grill