Muffins are baked products made in two different ways: part-raised flatbread and cupcake-like quickbread. Flatbread muffins’ history began in Europe during the 18th century, while quickbread started in North America during the 19th century.
Nowadays, muffins are loved by many consumers worldwide. They’re easy to bake as they only require a few ingredients, making them an ideal subject for baking lessons. In order to create a perfectly shaped muffin, the muffin pan is smeared with butter or a few drops of cooking oil for minimal sticking. That said, having the best muffin pans can help you create professionally inspired muffins that would truly entice customers to eat.
We have provided some tips to help you choose the best muffin pan for your needs along with a list of products that can help you create the best looking and tasting muffins.
How to Choose the Best Muffin Pans
In order to come up with a presentable-looking and edible muffin, it should be evenly baked on all sides – no burnt or undercooked edges. Also, it should not be asymmetrically shaped so as to make it attractive.
The muffin pan plays a great factor in creating the best muffin. Despite using the right ingredients in precise amounts, the said pan can still affect the overall product. Therefore, you should take into consideration the following standards in buying your own muffin pan.
Some Tips on Choosing the Right Muffin Pan:
Thickness and proper heat distribution
A thicker pan often has a prolonged lifespan in contrast to a lighter and thinner pan, as the latter is prone to warping over time. Therefore, investing in thicker ones is more ideal since they are more durable and trustworthy.
Aluminum and silicone-based pans are capable of providing equal heat distribution which eradicates the common problem of burnt edges and gooey insides of a muffin. As a result, you won’t have to throw away your overcooked or undercooked muffins.
The muffin batter tends to stick on the pan once exposed to heat. Using an ordinary pan tends to create messy and unequally shaped muffins, making it less presentable.
On the other hand, nonstick pans give you a much better and fun baking experience as removing the baked product out of the well is not as tedious as it sounds on ordinary pans. In addition, cleaning won’t be much of a problem as well since crumbs can easily glide off the surface merely with the use of water.
Light colored pans
If you opt to buy nonstick muffin pans, make sure it’s light. Dark colored products absorb more light which promotes browning on the sides of your muffin. Too much browning on the muffin tends to create unevenness on the overall appearance of your baked product, making them look less appealing to look at.
12 Best Muffin Pans
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Muffin
Non-stick Aluminum Pan for Even Heat Distribution
This 12-cup muffin pan from OXO Good Grips helps you create a flawlessly beautiful and professionally made muffin with its nonstick properties. As this pan is made of aluminum, it helps in the even distribution of heat in your muffin batter and has an easy release. Furthermore, it’s built of the best quality materials for it to be useful in the years to come.
This aluminum-based steel contains ceramic and PFOA-free coating which makes it safe to use, durable, and easy to remove. While steel is prone to scratches, staining, and corrosion, this product is resistant to the said permanent damages.
- Contains nonstick properties for easy baking and less to zero holes on the product
- Features even heat distribution that fully cooks the muffin inside and out
- Sturdy and light colored
- Pans are prone to warps upon exposure to intense heat or after several uses
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Muffin Pan
Rust-Free and Warp-Resistant Pan
Made of 12 wells for easy batch baking, this product from Nordic ware is purely made of aluminum. Aluminum helps in equal distribution of the heat, resulting in evenly baked muffins.
Additionally, the pan also contains encapsulated steel rim for the prevention of warping, making it usable for a long period of time. Its overall design is easy to clean; therefore, areas with fragments from the baked product can easily be cleaned through hand washing.
- It is wholly made of aluminum, which is one of the ideal materials for even heat distribution
- No need for special cleaning since hand washing would simply suffice
- Comes with steel rims that prevent warping
- The narrow edge is difficult to pull out from the oven
- The pan does not easily glide in and out of the oven
Williams Sonoma Goldtouch Nonstick Muffin Pan
Abrasion-Resistant Pan with Goldtouch Ceramic Coating
This pan that is capable of creating dozens of baked goods is an american product that is carefully designed for bakers who are looking for even baking and browning, pans with nonstick properties, and perfectly shaped muffins.
Goldtouch nonstick coating also serves as protection against scratches. The pan is designed with extended edges for easy grasping in and out of the oven.
- Its Goldtouch coating makes it unique and also provides nonstick properties
- Easy and comfortable to handle with its extended edges
- Cleaning the pan after use is not an issue
- Remnants tend to stick to the pan in spite of its claim being a nonstick pan
USA Pan Bakeware Crown Muffin Pan
Features a Nonstick Americoat Coating
USA Pan is a family-owned business based in the United States. Their baking pan, the Crown Muffin Pan, is made of aluminum which gives off an even heat distribution on all sides of the batter and is considered as the material of choice for baking. From the name per se, it is intended in making wonderfully crowned muffins similar to those commercially-made muffins with its oversized top.
It features Americoat, a silicone coating that promotes nonstick properties and easy release of baked products. Cleaning only requires hand washing.
- Features silicone coating that is PTFE, PFOA, and BPA-free
- Crowning is easily achieved with the pan’s oversized top
- The surface is designed to resist warping
- Baked goods tend to start sticking on the wells after several uses
Rachel Ray Cucina Nonstick Bakeware 12-Cup
Durable Pan for Everyday Baking
This kitchenware from Rachel Ray also sells muffin pans with 12 wells, each designed with different colorful silicone grips that would surely make your baking experience a positive one. It’s a latte-colored nonstick pan with rolled rim edges makes baking and cleaning easier and hassle-free.
Durability-wise, the pan can withstand up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit without deformities even after several uses.
- Colorful silicone grip that provides easy and comfortable grasp especially with oven mitts
- Easy to use and clean with its nonstick properties
- Safe to use up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
- Muffins tend to stick after several uses
Wilton Recipe Right Muffin Pan
Nonstick Steel Pan for Hassle-free Baking
Started in 1929, Wilton has brought joy towards bakers who wish to make pastries for everyone to enjoy. Coated with nonstick properties, this 12-well muffin pan is easy and tidy to use. In addition, its handles are easy and comfortable to grasp.
Muffins can be easily released from the pan, which makes it convenient for bakers. Furthermore, it is dishwasher-safe.
- It has the right width, enough to fit in an oven unlike other pans
- The tin is durable enough to be used for a long time
- It really lives up to its nonstick properties
- Tends to create buildups since it is difficult to clean
Anolon Advanced Nonstick Bakeware Muffin Pan
Features Silicon Grips for Easy and Convenient Handling
Unlike other baking pans, this product from Anolon is made of thicker metal for more durability and prevention of warping. It has a nonstick coating, perfect for easy and hassle-free baking.
Its SureGrip handles make it easy to get the pan in and out the oven. Additionally, it can withstand up to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Baking sheets are no longer needed upon baking.
- Heavier metal to prevent warping and for higher lifespan
- SureGrip handles make the pan easier to hold
- Comes in graphite and bronze
- Baked products tend to stick on the wells after several uses
Circulon Nonstick Bakeware 12-Cup Muffin Pan
Comes with a Heavy-Gauge Steel Construction
This chocolate brown nonstick pan from Circulon is made of heavy metal for a sturdier and highly efficient product. It has a rolled rim design and wide handles suitable for handling even with thick mitts.
Using this pan does not require intensive cleaning as it can be easily washed with the use of dishwasher; however, handwashing is a much-preferred procedure to avoid scratches and dents.
- It has a chocolate brown color which makes baked products enticing to look at
- Built with thicker and heavier metal, making it more durable and less prone to warping
- Relatively safe for handling with its wide handles
- Although it is safe in the dishwasher as claimed, it is still less likely applicable with such procedure as it may cause scratches
Keliwa 12 Cup Silicone Muffin – Cupcake Baking Pan
Microwave-Safe Pan in a Fun and Bright Color
Interestingly, this pan from Keliwa deviates itself from the mundane metal pans sold by most companies. Instead of the plain metallic look, it comes in a bright color and is made of silicone.
Albeit made of silicone, it is still coated with nonstick coating and is also easy to clean after use.
- Comes in bright red color which makes your baking experience a colorful one
- Stain-resistant and the silicone material used is safe
- Flexible and easy to handle
- Muffins rise lower than in metal pans
Lodge L5P3 Cast Iron Mini Muffin/Cornbread Pan
Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Immediate Use
This pan designed for muffin and cornbread is made of iron instead of the usual aluminum material. It only caters 6 wells, each with a depth of 1.5 inches. Cast iron also produces great heat regulation, allowing baked products to be cooked perfectly and with the impeccable crust after the process. It is easy to clean with hand washing.
- Its cast iron properties give an even and well-crusted baked product result
- Simple yet durable
- Easy to clean through handwashing
- Needs nonstick spray since the batter tends to stick onto the pan
- Can only cater up to 6 muffins/cornbread
Calphalon Signature Nonstick Bakeware Muffin
Scratch-Resistant Pan Made with a Ceramic Surface
Established in 1963 in Toledo, Ohio, Calphalon has provided excellent muffin pans for bakers who wish to bake their favorite pastry. Compared to the traditional Calphalon nonstick pan, this product is 4 times longer lasting. It is made of ceramic material, intended for nonstick properties and easy release. In addition, ceramic is also less prone to scratches, making the pan looking brand new even after several uses.
The pan can withstand temperatures of up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Cleaning after use only requires hand washing.
- The material is made of ceramic which is highly efficient in terms of releasing the baked product
- Easy to clean since the remnants do not tend to stick to the pan
- Exposing the muffin pan up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit does not affect its shape
- Both PFOA and PTFE-free
- It is quite pricey
AmazonBasics Nonstick Carbon Steel Muffin Pan
Affordable 2-Set Option
This 2-set baking pan from AmazonBasics helps create delicious muffins. Made of carbon steel, it gives an assurance of durability and quick, even heating of muffins for equal and proper browning. Heating the pan up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit does not damage or deform it.
Its nonstick properties encourage bakers to use this pan as freshly baked products can easily be released from the well. Hand washing is highly recommended to avoid scratching the pan and damaging its coat.
- Its heavy weight carbon steel material protects the pan from warping upon exposure to heat or frequent usage
- A single pan can make perfectly shaped baked goods up to 12 pieces
- Cleaning the pan is not troublesome
- Sold at an affordable price
- The wells are not that deep
Although making muffin is easy, you should use the right baking pan to ensure that you will successfully achieve an evenly baked, well-shaped muffin. Nonstick material is highly recommended, not only for muffins pans but also for cake pans and other baking pans as well for easy removal of the finished baked masterpieces.