Aside from other kitchen tools like kitchen scales, frying pans, or oven thermometers, kitchen timers are yet another essential tool you should have. While ovens already have their own built-in timer and smartphones have their own timer app, some people, especially professional cooks, still prefer using kitchen timers for cooking.
The reason is that basic timers don’t possess the specific features that a kitchen timer has. Specifically, kitchen timers are more accurate, thus allowing you to enjoy a perfectly cooked meal. With the best kitchen timer, you’ll have to say goodbye to overdone bakes or overcooked veggies!
But how exactly do you find one? To help you with that, we have made a short buying guide and reviewed some products which we believe are the best in the market.
How to Choose a Good Kitchen Timer
Choosing a kitchen timer that’s worth the money isn’t really that hard. You just have to make sure it is:
Easy to use
Timers that have very few buttons are likely difficult to use, while timers that have several buttons are likely difficult to set. However, counting the number of buttons should not be the case all the time.
Arguably, direct entry timers are the easiest to use as they save you the hassle of scrolling through hours, minutes, and seconds to set a time. All you have to do is press the numbered keypads to set the time, which is way much faster than scrolling.
There are times where you’ll be preparing multiple dishes at the same time for a celebration or gathering. Basic kitchen timers that can only perform one task could make it hard to keep track of your dishes’ time in the oven.
A kitchen timer with two or more timers is certainly useful during this situation. With a multi-timer, there will be no need to calculate how much oven time your other dishes have left after removing the first dish from the oven.
Some of the best kitchen timers have a stopwatch mode which can be useful in some kitchen tasks from time to time; some can even start recounting automatically in case you missed the alarm going off. A clock mode feature is also present on some kitchen timers to keep track of how much time you have left before dinnertime.
The built-in timer on ovens is only useful if you’re on the kitchen at all times. However, if you go to your living room, bedroom, or somewhere away from your kitchen, there’s a high probability you won’t hear the alarm going off, subsequently overcooking your dishes.
Due to this, it’s highly recommended to have a kitchen timer that you can easily carry around. Ideally, you want to go for kitchen timers that have clips which allows you to attach them to your clothes. There are even some which have a sling so that you can wear them around your neck.
Precise and has a wide range
A kitchen timer that can be programmed up to 100 hours rather than the typical 10 hours may sound like overkill, but it could come in handy in some instances such as smoking a brisket in 12 hours, sous-viding ribs in 36 hours, or making slow-rising bread. Alternatively, you can simply use an ordinary clock; however, it’s much better to have an exact track of time with a wide-ranging kitchen timer.
On the other hand, a good kitchen timer allows you to set time down to seconds. Ordinary kitchen timers only allow you to set time in minutes and hours; unfortunately, that may be not enough to get the job done. With a precise kitchen timer, however, the risks of undercooking or overcooking your dishes are basically zero.
9 Best Kitchen Timers
KitchenAid Digital Kitchen Timer
Simple Yet Highly Reliable
The KitchenAid digital timer comes with simple push buttons for setting an alarm. It also has a large enough LCD screen. Additionally, its exact overall time duration limit is 10 hours which is the common duration limit among kitchen timers.
This timer is easy to carry around thanks to its compact and lightweight build. Probably the best thing with this timer is that it can be replaced for free within a year after purchase and has a limited lifetime warranty.
- Features a readable and large display
- Lightweight and compact
- Offers a one-year free replacement in case of some major defects
- It only has very limited buttons, so setting time might take a while
- Doesn’t have any clips or slings to carry it around without holding it with your hands
OXO Good Grips Triple Timer
Comes with a Handy Triple Timer Feature
The OXO Good Grips Triple Timer is among the best digital timers on the market. Setting time is made super easy thanks to its numerical keypad. Also, it has three timers that can reach durations of up to 100 hours, with each of them having its own distinct alarm sounds to help you determine which timer went off.
Just like any other digital timer, the OXO Good Grips Triple Timer also has LCD display for easy readability. It also includes two AAA batteries which are not a typical inclusion when it comes to digital timers.
However, it’s not that convenient to carry around due to its bulky texture; hence it stays in one place most of the time.
- Its three distinct digital timers that can reach durations of 100 hours could come in handy when preparing multiple dishes that take long to finish
- Easy to set and operate thanks to its numerical keypad
- Comes with an LCD display for easy readability
- Not convenient to carry around due to its bulky build
- Doesn’t have any free replacement or warranty in case of some defects
Wrenwane Digital Kitchen Timer
Easy-Read Large Digits Display
The Wrenwane timer has a few features that make it very convenient to use. First, the size of the digits is enlarged to make it easy to read in a quick glance even from a multiple-arm distance. Second, the sound of its alarm is loud enough to hear even when you’re in another room.
It also has a magnetic back which allows you to attach it easily on any vertical metallic surface, a retractable stand for use on a table-top, and a hook for hanging. It even has an on/off switch which is not common for kitchen timers.
The downside is that it only has three buttons, which means setting time can be a bit inconvenient. Also, its maximum duration is limited to only 100 minutes instead of the usual 10 hours.
- Comes with several features that make it convenient to use.
- Can also be used for sports, workouts, office works, and school works.
- Available at a very affordable price
- Its maximum duration is very limited; in fact, it’s so far from the usual maximum duration most kitchen timers have
The Miracle TimeCube Timer
A Uniquely Designed Cube Timer
The Miracle TimeCube Timer looks like a giant dice, but instead of dots, its four sides are printed with a specific number of minutes. To set time, you simply have to input the number of minutes of your choice upside. It’s not actually specifically designed for kitchen work, but it can be used as such.
This timer can be used in many activities such as school works, office works, meetings, games, workouts, and many more. The best thing about it is that it’s easy to use without pressing any buttons. However, the choices of time duration are very limited. Lastly, it doesn’t have a money-back guarantee or a warranty.
- It can be used for many other activities aside from cooking.
- Very easy to operate.
- Comes in a unique and modern design
- The maximum time duration is limited to only 15 minutes
KeeQuii Timer Kitchen Timer
A Highly Durable and Reliable Mechanical Timer
The KeeQuii kitchen timer is the first mechanical kitchen timer to make it to this list, and there are a few good reasons why. For one, it’s super easy to use; all you have to do is turn the knob clockwise from 0 to 0, then turn it back counterclockwise to the number (minutes) of your choice.
It produces a very loud alarm which lasts 3.3 seconds at 80 decibels. Therefore, even if you’re in another room, you’ll hear it go off. Its back is made of magnet so that it can be attached to any vertical metallic surface, most notably on refrigerator doors. Additionally, it’s made of stainless steel which makes it very durable and resistant from rusts.
- Very easy to operate
- Made of durable and rust-resistant stainless steel
- Features a very loud alarm which is a quality every kitchen timer should have
- It only has minimal portability
Kikkerland Vintage Streamline Kitchen Timer
Functional with a Fun and Retro Design
The Kikkerland vintage streamline timer allows you to set time in the same way that you would with the KeeQuii Timer. However, instead of a knob, it uses a chrome ring.
This mechanical kitchen timer is very easy to carry around with you due to its portable and lightweight build. And just like the KeeQuii Timer, it’s also made of stainless steel, making it durable and long-lasting.
- Lightweight and easy to carry around the kitchen
- Made of stainless steel, making it durable and long-lasting
- Comes in a fun and retro design
- The alarm can only last for around 1 to 2 seconds
eTradewinds Digital Kitchen Timer
Large Digital Display with Auto Shut-Off Function
The eTradewinds digital kitchen timer has a similar look and build to that of the Wrenwane Timer. However, it’s more durable thanks to its stainless steel material. It’s also packed with a number of amazing features.
First, the display is decently large enough to view even from a two-arm distance. You can stick it on a metallic surface, thanks to its magnetic back which is already quite common among kitchen timers.
It also has an auto shut-off feature when not in use to help save some battery life. And just like the Wrenware Timer, it also has a retractable stand in case you want it placed upright on top of a table or any flat surface.
- Comes with several features that make it convenient to use
- Its auto shut-off feature can help you conserve its battery life
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- It only has three buttons, so setting an alarm might take you a while
West Bend 40005X Digital Magnetic Kitchen Timer
Features an Easy-to-Read LCD
This digital kitchen timer is one of the best out there on the market. First of all, its digits are jumbo-sized, making it more readable at a quick glance. Plus, it’s an ideal kitchen timer for dishes that require multiple hours of oven-time thanks to its 100-hour capacity.
This kitchen timer is also easy to place anywhere as it has a retractable stand, hanging hole, and magnet bar on its back. It also comes with one AAA battery, a rare inclusion in any battery-powered device.
- It’s easy to use and could come in handy when preparing dishes that could take hours to finish
- Comes with great inclusions which improve its portability
- Includes a AAA battery in the package
- There were complaints regarding the poor quality of its magnet
Taylor Precision Products Four-Event Kitchen Timer with Whiteboard
A Multi-Functional Timer with a Whiteboard Design
This kitchen timer from Taylor Precision Products nails almost every point on how to choose a good kitchen timer. It could track four events at the same time, making it ideal when cooking multi-course meals. It has a marker and small whiteboard on its right side in case you want to write down some notes.
Its LCD screen is very clear and easy to read. Plus, it has a magnet on its back and a retractable stand which allows it to function on any surface. It’s also lightweight, making it easy to transport from one spot to another.
- Quite useful when it comes to preparing several dishes
- Complete with features that make it easy to use
- Comes with two AAA battery included
- Very affordable despite its features
- There’s no on/off switch, which could be an issue as it will drain the battery power very quickly
With the right kitchen timer, alongside other tools like cake pans and baking pans, you’ll no longer have to deal with undercooked or overcooked food. Keeping track of time when cooking meals is made easier and more convenient, and you can achieve this at a very little investment.
Hopefully, our reviews of the best kitchen timers will help you decide which product to go for. Just make sure that when you go shopping, you have to keep in mind the buying guide we’ve prepared above.
You may also like
- KitchenAid Digital Kitchen Timer
- OXO Good Grips Triple Timer
- Wrenwane Digital Kitchen Timer
- The Miracle TimeCube Timer
- KeeQii Timer Kitchen Timer
- Kikkerland Vintage Streamline Kitchen Timer
- eTradewinds Digital Kitchen Timer
- West Bend 40005X Digital Magnetic Kitchen Timer
- Taylor Precision Products Four-Event Kitchen Timer with Whiteboard