The Best Kitchen Shears in 2021
The need to own the best kitchen shears is the same as needing the best boning knife or best chef knife. If you happen to buy a fancy set of knives, more often than not does it come with a nice pair of kitchen shears exclusive to that set. But not all sets come with kitchen shears. Or maybe you do have a set of kitchen shears but they just are not strong enough to get the job done or are not easy to use or comfortable. Having the best set of kitchen shears will help you out a lot more than you would think.
Most times, kitchen shears are used more often than the knives within the set are. But kitchen shears can do so much more than just cut open bags and boxes. You can break down a whole chicken using only your kitchen shears but they have to be good quality shears that won’t break under pressure.
In this article, we will go over some of the uses for kitchen shears and what to look for when purchasing a new set. We will also go over some of the sets of kitchen shears available on the market today and which may be the best choice for you.
How to Choose the Best Kitchen Shears
There are many different types of scissors or shears available for purchase and each type is specific to a certain task. While you may be able to use fabric scissors to cut paper or boxes, in turn you would ruin them because they are not designed for that task at hand. The same goes for kitchen shears. While they are one of the more heavy-duty type of scissors, they are specific to handling tasks performed in the kitchen. They need to be able to cut through the thinnest paper while also being able to cut through chicken bones with ease.
When looking for the best kitchen shears, you want to make sure they are made of quality materials with a solid and strong construction foundation. You want to make sure they will not fall apart when you try to cut through small bones and will hold their edge after some of the toughest jobs. The best way to determine if the kitchen shears are a quality product is if they come with a warranty to protect them from damages and defects. If the manufacturer gives a warranty, most likely they are confident that their kitchen shears will last a lifetime and hold up against even the toughest jobs in the kitchen.
Make sure the set of kitchen shears you buy are easy to use and comfortable as well. There are several types out there that will slack on the comfortability just to push out a lower quality product. Choosing a new set of kitchen shears is not like buying a new can opener, there are many other factors to look at when picking the best available. Kitchen shears fall into the same category as kitchen knives, which is a competitive category, so treat them the same way as if you were looking to buy a new knife.
Construction and Design
While there are some kitchen shears out there that are top of the line and excel in almost every facet, this doesn’t mean you need to get that particular set. Some kitchen shears are very affordable and are constructed with the same quality in mind. You will want to treat your search for kitchen shears as if you were looking for a new knife. Quality materials, strong construction, a comfortable design and a well-known and trusted name behind the product. When it comes down to it, they are all very similar with only a couple of differences. Determining what you want in a set of kitchen shears will help you make an educated decision.
Like most other knives, kitchen shears can also be sharpened either by hand on a whetstone or by using an electric knife sharpener. You should not have to sharpen the blades as often as you would with any other knife, but there is still an option if the kitchen shears can be taken apart. If they do not come apart, you will have a lot of trouble trying to sharpen them, so this feature comes in handy.
Owning a set of kitchen shears that are also dishwasher-safe will save you so much time in the long run as well. You will want to make sure that the shears are easy to use and comfortable with some sort of padded or slip-resistant grips. A pair of scissors without grips will create blisters and calluses on your hands over time. Most kitchen shears are also able to handle other jobs which may come in handy from time to time like a can opener, screwdriver or jar opener built in. If multifunctionality is important to you, then look for these features as well.
Best Kitchen Shears
CUTCO Model 77 Super Shears 2.0
The Cutting-Edge Kitchen Shears
This model of kitchen shears is made by Cutco, which stands behind all their products with pride. The kitchen shears are very expensive though when compared to other models but they do come with a lifetime warranty to protect them.
The blades are very strong and are constructed of high-quality stainless steel that are able to cut through the toughest materials. They can be used to cut delicate flowers or even to cut through some of the toughest metals without dulling the blades. The blades also come apart easily so you can clean them but they are not dishwasher safe and need to be washed and dried by hand.
The handles have a comfortable grip that is slip resistant and is universal for both left and right-handed people. The kitchen shears are very versatile and can be used for anything scissors are needed for in the house or the garden.
- The kitchen shears are very versatile and can be used to cut literally anything from small flowers to tough sheet metals in the house or in the garden area.
- The handles have a comfortable grip that is slip resistant and is able to fit both left- and right-handed people.
- The blades are constructed of quality stainless steel and can be taken apart to clean them easily.
- Although the kitchen shears come with a lifetime warranty to protect them, they are very expensive to purchase.
- The kitchen shears are not dishwasher safe.
Wusthof WU5558 Kitchen Shears
The Runner Up for Best Kitchen Shears
The next set of kitchen shears comes from one of the most famous knife makers in the world that has been making knifes for multiple generations. Wusthof is known for making very strong knives that are very hard to damage, they are usually the workhorses in the kitchen.
The shears feature a much longer blade of 8 inches versus the first set. They also have a jar opener, lid opener, bottle cap opener and nutcracker. The handles are very comfortable with a polymer grip that can be used in either hand. While this set is way cheaper than Moricai Kershaw, there is no warranty to protect it from damages.
Considering the price and the features from a well know company, this would be the best choice if you didn’t want to pay 3 times as much.
- The kitchen shears come with a jar opener, lid lifter, bottle cap opener and nutcracker built in.
- The handles have a polymer grip which is very comfortable.
- The blades are made of high carbon stainless steel and constructed by the best knife maker in the world.
- While the kitchen shears may only be $25, there is no warranty to protect them.
ZWILLING J.A. Henckels 43967-200 Kitchen Shears
The Dry Land Kitchen Shears
The next set of kitchen shears also comes from a German knife company. However, even though the steel may have been forged in Germany, they were assembled in America. This set is also a little more expensive at around $40 and also does not come with any warranty to protect it.
The shears also feature a nutcracker, bottle cap opener and jar opener built in to the handles which also have a comfortable plastic grip. The blades will also come apart easily with an easy screw assembly and the whole set of kitchen shears is dishwasher safe.
- The blades are constructed of strong German forged steel.
- The handles have a built-in nutcracker, bottle cap opener and jar opener.
- The kitchen shears are dishwasher safe.
- This set of shears is a little pricier than the last one and it is also not covered by a warranty.
Shun Kitchen Shears
The Sharpest Kitchen Shears
This next set of kitchen shears is a little pricier, coming in at around $80 but it does come with a lifetime warranty to protect the shears. Shun is known for making some of the sharpest and most flexible knives in the world. They will hold the edge sharpness better than any other knife on the market.
The shears are constructed of strong high carbon stainless steel and have a very comfortable polymer grip with an under over action for better leverage. The shears are easily taken apart for sharpening or cleaning but are recommended to be hand washed only. There is also a small flathead screwdriver attached at the base of one of the handles as well.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty to protect the shears from damages.
- The shears are constructed of high carbon stainless steel that will hold their edge forever without need sharpening.
- The handles are coated in a slip resistant and comfortable polymer rubber.
- These kitchen shears are just as pricey as the best kitchen shears and do not have all the same functions.
Kai Kitchen Scissors (DH-3005)
The Large Grip Kitchen Shears
This set of kitchen shears is a little different than the rest of them in one way. They are pretty affordable when compared to other brands but do not come with a warranty to protect them. The kitchen shears are constructed of 18/10 stainless steel and are very strong enough to cut through bone.
The handles have large openings to fit your entire hand in them which will give you more leverage on tougher to cut foods and items. The handles are constructed of high-quality tough plastic and are also heat resistant up to 130 degrees. The blades also come apart so you can clean them easier but they are not dishwasher safe and need to be cleaned by hand.
- The kitchen shears are able to cut very tough food items like crab shells and bones.
- They are constructed of 18/10 stainless steel and the blades come apart to make it easier to clean them.
- The handles are constructed of high-quality plastic and the entire hand can fit inside them to give you extra leverage when cutting through tough or thick items.
- While the kitchen shears are very affordable, they do not come with a warranty to protect them.
- They are not dishwasher safe.
OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen & Herbs Scissors
The Sleeper Kitchen Shears Pick
This set of kitchen shears could be easily overlooked just by how they advertise the product and describe it, when in all actuality, it would be a great pick for the kitchen. The kitchen shears are some of the cheapest yet but are not covered by any warranty.
The blades are constructed of hardened stainless steel and have a micro serrated edge to securely hold the items being cut. The handles have rubber grips to allocate for the pressure when being cut as well. There is also a stripper for removing the leaves from the stems for herbs. All in all, not a bad set of shears.
- The shears have two sizes of built in herb leave strippers.
- The blades are constructed of hardened stainless steel with a micro serrated edge.
- The handles have slip resistant rubber grips.
- While the set of shears is very affordable, there is not warranty that comes with them.
R.H. Forschner by Victorinox Kitchen Shear
The Copycat Kitchen Shears
This next set is identical to the last one we just reviewed in every way except for one, it costs a bit less. That is not much to be said about the set that is very cheap and has no warranty to protect it.
The kitchen shears are made with German forged stainless steel in which the blades come apart easily for sharpening and cleaning. The handles are also constructed of polypropylene which is very similar to polymer. The shears also have a built-in bottle cap opener or nutcracker if you wish. These shears can literally take a beating and be sharpened back to their original state.
- This is the cheapest set of kitchen shears so far with strong quality materials for construction.
- The kitchen shears are 100% dishwasher safe.
- The handles are constructed of slip resistant polypropylene for comfort.
- While the shears are very affordable, they do not come protected by a warranty.
Kuhn Rikon Classic Snips
Garden Shears that Double as Kitchen Shears
This next set may surprise you because this type of design of shears is usually found in the garden for pruning bushes but may also double as a set of kitchen shears to some extent.
The shears are not covered by a warranty but are also comparable in price to the last few selections reviewed. They also have a locking mechanism to keep the shears stored safely. While this may work well for veggies and dry items, it is not recommended for use on wet materials or even getting wet otherwise it may rust.
- The kitchen shears may also be used in the garden to prune hedges and bushes.
- There is a locking mechanism to properly store the shears safely.
- Come at a very affordable price.
- The shears are not intended to be used on wet materials.
- Does not come with any warranty to protect them.
KitchenAid Blad KC351OHOBA
The Basic Set of Kitchen Shears
The last set of kitchen shears on the list is probably the most basic set out there, not a whole lot special about these guys except for the fact that they are the cheapest on the list.
The shears are constructed of stainless steel to prevent any rusting and also come with a plastic sheath for properly storing the shears safely. The blade has micro serration for a clean cut every time and the handles have comfortable slip resistant grips. To top it off, these shears are 100% dishwasher safe.
- The blades are constructed of stainless steel and have micro serrations for a clean cut every time.
- The handles have slip resistant grips for comfort.
- The kitchen shears are 100% dishwasher safe.
- There is no warranty to protect them.
No matter what set of kitchen shears you decide to go with, make sure they are reliable and will live up to your standards. There are many types of kitchen shears all with different functions so make sure to get a set that fits your wants and needs.
Kitchen Aria Team
You may also like
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Kitchen Shears
Best Kitchen Shears
- CUTCO Model 77 Super Shears 2.0
- Wusthof WU5558 Kitchen Shears
- ZWILLING J.A. Henckels 43967-200 Kitchen Shears
- Shun Kitchen Shears
- Kai Kitchen Scissors (DH-3005)
- OXO Good Grips Multi-Purpose Kitchen & Herbs Scissors
- R.H. Forschner by Victorinox Kitchen Shear
- Kuhn Rikon Classic Snips
- KitchenAid Blad KC351OHOBA