The Best Jar Openers to Buy in 2021
When the lid on jar is just too tight and you start to strain to try to open it, it seems like you will never get it open. You could use hot water and try to expand the lid to try to get it to pop off or bang the jar against the counter or try to use a knife to pry it open but all of these are very dangerous methods to use and hardly ever work. That’s why you will be needing the best jar opener that money can buy. A jar opener will save you time, money and safely open all types or jars and lids that become stuck on too tightly.
They are very easy to use and hardly take any effort to get any type of lid off easily and safely. In this article, we will go over the different types of jar openers and what to look for when choosing a new jar opener. We will also cover some of the jar openers that are currently available for purchase on the market today and which one may be the best fit for you and your needs.
How to Choose the Best Jar Opener
When choosing a new jar opener, it is best to make sure you are buying a quality product and not something that will break after a few uses. Jar openers are not like can openers in the sense of the way they work, but are very similar in the quality of materials needed to make them.
To make sure the jar opener will last forever, it is best to get one that is made with high-quality materials. When opening jars and bottles you are going to be putting some strain on the jar opener so you want to make sure it is well constructed and won’t break or chip while using. Just in case something does happen to the jar opener, it is best to have some kind of manufacturer’s guarantee or at least a warranty to protect it in case it becomes damaged or defected while in use or during the shipping process.
You want to make sure that the jar opener is also comfortable in your hand and is easy to use. You certainly don’t need a jar opener that makes it more difficult to use than just opening the jar by hand. There are several different types of jar openers and within those types there are some that will do all types of jars and bottles but then there are some that are specific to only some types of jars. So, make sure you get one that will open the jars you mainly use at home so you don’t run into any problems of not being able to use it every time.
You also want to make sure it is easy to clean. They won’t necessarily get that dirty while opening a jar but they do need to be cleaned. It is best to try and get one that is rustproof or stainless steel so it doesn’t ruin the gears when washed. Also, try to get one that is dishwasher safe to make the cleaning process easier on you.
Construction and Design
There are so many different types of bottle openers and can openers to choose from but that is not the case with jar openers. There are mainly three different types of jar openers: electric powered, battery powered and manual. If you are not wanting to buy a jar opener that requires a power source then this is the best route to take.
Manual jar openers mainly rely on extra leverage and are sometimes larger than the other to gain extra grip for opening. They do work just as well as the others but will not always open all types of lids.
Then there are battery powered and electric jar openers which are generally the same. Battery operated jar openers will drain batteries faster and you may have to end up buying more in the long run plus they may not be as powerful as the electric jar openers. But on the upside, if there are no electricity outlets present then you can’t use the electric jar openers and they will also cost much more than any of the others.
However, most electric jar openers are able to open a variety of lids. But just like wine openers, you can find a really good manual opener that is better than any electric opener in the long run. You also want to make sure that the jar opener you purchase has a very good handle. One that is strong and sturdy and will not break under stress and pressure. You want the handle to also be comfortable to handle with a strong and slip-resistant grip.
Some of the heavier jar openers are a good indicator of quality materials used to construct them meaning they won’t break under extreme pressure, but they may be harder to handle with the weight and cause more stress on your wrist and hands.
Best Jar Openers
EZ Off Jar Opener For All Jar Sizes
The Best Manual Jar Opener
This jar opener will open jar lids effortlessly. It is very affordable to purchase but does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The jar opener is made of high-quality metal materials and is easily installed with just 3 screws. It hides neatly under any countertop or cabinet without being seen as well. It will open all types of jar lids manually with ease. No need to wash it ever as it will hang out of sight. It is so easy to use that a child or even the elderly can use it without any trouble at all.
- It is easily installed with 3 screws and hides neatly under any cabinet or countertop.
- The jar opener is made with high quality materials that will not break or rust.
- It is very easy to use even children and the elderly can use it.
- While it is very affordable to purchase, it does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Prepworks by Progressive 6-in-1 Multi Opener Jar Bottle Can Opener
The Next Best Manual Jar Opener
This next jar opener is a hand-held jar opener that works manually as well. It is even cheaper than the last model but still does not come with a warranty to protect it. The jar opener is able to open 6 different sizes of jar lids including beer bottles, soda bottles and pull tabs alike. It has a very comfortable soft grip that is slip resistant making it easy to hold in your hand. The unit is also easy to clean and is dishwasher safe. It has a hook to store on the wall and a lock to keep it closed when not in use.
- The jar opener is able to open 6 different sizes of lids and all types of bottle caps.
- The handle has a soft and comfortable grip that is slip resistant.
- The unit is dishwasher safe and has a locking mechanism for when not in use.
- While the jar opener is very affordable, it does not come with a warranty.
Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener
The Strain Free Jar Opener
This jar opener uses leverage to open lids and is a little limited. The jar opener is very affordable but doesn’t come with a warranty to protect it. The unit is made from high quality plastic and has a comfortable slip resistant handle to grip when opening the lids. It is able to open smooth and grooved lids between the sizes of 1 inch and 3.5 inches. The jar opener also locks onto the jar so it won’t slip out of place when you are trying to open the lid. It is not dishwasher safe and needs to be wiped with a damp cloth.
- The handle is comfortable and has a slip resistant grip.
- The jar opener locks onto the lids while it opens them so they don’t slip away.
- It is able to open jars with smooth and grooved edges between 1 inch and 3.5 inches.
- It is not dishwasher safe.
- The jar opener does not come with a warranty.
Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener
The Best Battery Powered Jar Opener
This jar opener is not all that big and only takes two AA batteries to operate it. It does cost about $40 but it does not come with batteries or a warranty to protect it. The jar opener is one of the easiest models to use. All you have to do is place it on top of any type or size of jar lid and press the button. There is a button to lock onto the lids and to release it from the lid when you are done opening it. There is another to start the process of opening it. It’s completely hands-free and doesn’t require any manpower to open any type of jar lid.
- The jar opener does not require any manpower to open lids, its hand free.
- It has a locking mechanism and a release of the jar lid once it has been opened.
- It is able to open any type of jar and any size lid.
- It is a little pricey and does not come with a warranty.
- Not dishwasher safe and batteries not included.
OXO Good Grips Jar Opener with Base Pad
The Consumer Jar Opener
This jar opener is another manual jar opener that is able to open just about any type of lid or jar type. It is very affordable to purchase but does not come with a warranty to protect it. The handle of the jar opener has a comfortable grip that is slip resistant and has an extra-long handle for extra leverage when opening jars.
There are stainless steel teeth to grip on to the jar lids when handling them. It has a hoop to hang on the wall and comes with a slip resistant base to place the jars on when opening them to lessen the amount of leverage needed to open them and keep the jar in place. The unit is also dishwasher safe and compact for storing.
- The handle is extra-long and has a comfortable and slip resistant grip.
- The jar opener comes with a slip resistant base to keep the jar in place while opening it.
- It is dishwasher safe and will store easily anywhere.
- While it is very affordable, it does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Black & Decker JW200BM Lids Off Jar Opener
The Best Electric Jar Opener
This electric jar opener is actually very large but very powerful. It does cost about $200 and it does not come with a warranty to protect it. The jar opener is able to open any type of jar and any size of lid with ease. There is a quick release button for the jar lid to hold in place and let go of lid once opened. All you have to do is place the jar in the designated place and press a button then the machine will do the rest for you. It is even able to open vacuum sealed lids that may be tougher for most other models of jar openers to open.
- The jar opener will open any type of jar and any size of lid.
- There is a jar lid lock and release button.
- Is able to open vacuum sealed jars.
- The machine is very expensive and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Leifheit 03131 Extra Wide Stainless Steel Lid and Jar Opener
The Rust-Free Jar Opener
This jar opener is really not all that great when comparing it to all the others on the list. It is very affordable but is not covered by any warranty. The jar opener is constructed completely of stainless steel and has a small rubber grip that is slip resistant and easy to handle. The jar opener will open most jar lids and a few bottles as well. It is dishwasher safe and will store easily anywhere. There is also a hook on the handle to hang it on the wall if you wanted.
- The jar opener is constructed completely of stainless steel and will not rust.
- The jar opener is dishwasher safe and can be stored easily.
- The handles are slip resistant.
- There is no warranty to protect the jar opener.
Kichwit Jar Opener Stainless Steel
The Sturdy Jar Opener
This jar opener is a little bit more of an older model but it will still do the trick. It is more than affordable and it comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it. The jar opener is made on strong solid plastic handle that is slip resistant and a stainless-steel body that will not rust overtime. It is dishwasher safe and easy to use. It will open jar lids between 1 inch and 4 inches in size. It also comes with an aluminum alloy bottle opener key chain.
- The handle is made of solid plastic and has a slip resistant grip.
- It is very affordable and comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
- It is easy to use and is dishwasher safe.
- It is only able to open jar lids that are 1 inch to 4 inches wide.
Prepworks by Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers
The Rubber Jar Opener
This last product is not really a jar opener but more of a glorified towel to help you open those stubborn jar lids. It is basically a sheet of rubber silicone with a textured grip to help you screw off and on jar lids of any type or size. The product is only a couple of bucks and does not come with a warranty. It can also be used to even unscrew other hard-to-get-off items like your oil filter on your car or a lightbulb. It is not dishwasher safe and comes in a set of three fashionable colors.
- Comes in a set of 3 rubber silicone sheet grips.
- Is able to help screw off any type of jar or lid.
- Can be used to loosen other items like lightbulbs and oil filters on the car.
- It is not dishwasher safe and does not come with a warranty.
Any of the first five items we listed on this review will work perfectly for you. It just depends on your preference. The battery-operated jar opener seems to be the best seller and would be the cheapest and easiest way to go about opening jars.
You may also like
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Jar Opener
Best Jar Openers
- EZ Off Jar Opener For All Jar Sizes
- Prepworks by Progressive 6-in-1 Multi Opener Jar Bottle Can Opener
- Kuhn Rikon The Gripper Jar Opener
- Hamilton Beach Open Ease Automatic Jar Opener
- OXO Good Grips Jar Opener with Base Pad
- Black & Decker JW200BM Lids Off Jar Opener
- Leifheit 03131 Extra Wide Stainless Steel Lid and Jar Opener
- Kichwit Jar Opener Stainless Steel
- Prepworks by Progressive Jar Grips Multi-Purpose Lid Openers