9 Best Electric Skillets in 2020
Owning the best electric skillet can be a huge advantage in many different situations. The main situation you may come across when needing an electric skillet is when you don’t have a stove inside your home or the means to build a fire. Sure, you could use an electric grill for some dishes, but even then, electric skillet is a more versatile tool.
An electric skillet will come in handy if you live in a small quartered home or apartment where all you can use is electricity. Many college dorms also do not have a stove or the ability to use anything but electricity which is where such a skillet will come in handy.
An electric skillet will also use less electricity compared to using a skillet or a sauté pan on an electric or gas stove as well. So, it is safe to say that these kitchen tools are very energy-efficient. They will usually heat up faster than any other pan on the stove and are usually very easy to maintain and control the heat and temperature. Overall, electric skillets will work for just about any job or task in the kitchen.
In this article we will go over the different types of electric skillets and what to look for when choosing one. We will also cover some of the best electric skillets that are available for purchase on the market today and which may be the best choice to best suit your wants and needs.
How to Choose the Best Electric Skillet
Choosing the best electric skillet is really not much different than choosing a normal skillet you would use on the stovetop. Of course, electric skillets are going to have many more added bonus features that a normal skillet would not normally have, but still, the same rules apply when trying to find the best one.
Just like any kitchen appliance or kitchen tool, purchasing an electric skillet that comes with a warranty or guarantee is a must. Since this appliance relies on electricity as the sole heat source for power, there is always a chance of the skillet breaking or malfunctioning while in use. Having a warranty will ease your mind from worries, knowing you are always going to be able to have a new replacement.
You also want to make sure that the electric skillet is made from strong quality materials with excellent construction. This will ensure the longevity of the appliance through usage over time. Some electric skillets come with extra features you wouldn’t find on a normal skillet like a timer or an alarm to alert you when there is a problem or when you need to stir, add water, overheats or any problem for that matter.
It would also be wise to have an electric skillet with a lid and more so one that is clear so you will be able to see inside while you are cooking without having to lift the lid which will cause you to lose any heat or moisture inside the skillet.
Usually, an electric skillet has the ability to also replace some of your other electric appliances like an electric griddle or an electric grill. Some skillets may also come with special tools for cooking or cleaning that will come in handy. Speaking of cleaning, you will want to buy an electric skillet that is very easy to not only use and operate but also clean when you are finished using it. Some may be able to be used in the dishwasher which would be a huge plus, but for the most part, you will need to hand wash it.
An electric skillet with a nonstick surface will definitely help with the cleaning process and not having a lot of nooks and crannies for spills to happen which would make it harder to clean in the long run. Just make sure the electric skillet is protected, safe and easy to use and very easy to clean then you should be fine.
Construction and Design
There are many different sizes and shapes of electric skillets all that operate and heat up differently. The size and shape of the electric skillet will really depend on your preference. Also, the amount of counter space or storage space may also play a role on the shape and size of the skillet but overall it is really not as important.
While they all still use electricity to power up, the construction of each will determine how well they will work. Make sure the skillet is constructed of quality materials that will not fall apart overtime. You will want to have an electric skillet that is sturdy and has some weight to it to keep it in place while in use but no too heavy to where it is hard to maneuver or move around when not in use.
Having rubber stopper legs or a mat for placement will also help the skillet to not move around while in use as well. Other added features are not really all that necessary but do come in handy if you plan on using the electric skillet for other things. Like a pour spout on the pan can make it easier to remove food from the pan.
Having a pan that has a nonstick surface will definitely come in handy for cleaning and for the cooking process just like an electric griddle would work. Allowing your food to stick to the bottom of the pan is never a good idea.
Another great feature would be to have the electric skillet double as a buffet serving dish or chafing dish like you would use a crock pot for. This makes it easy to keep the food warm while your guests retrieve food from the pan.
Another important feature that goes hand in hand with serving to your guests would be to have heat resistant handles and surfaces all over the pan. You wouldn’t want someone or yourself to burn themselves on the exterior of the pan. Make sure to look for special features that may fit your needs then go with the best option available.
9 Best Electric Skillets
Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
The Best Electric Skillet
Our first electric skillet up for grabs is really the best option available for anyone. It has everything you could want in an electric skillet and then some. Plus, it is very affordable compared to most electric skillets but does not come with a warranty.
The electric skillet is well constructed of strong cast aluminum and has a rectangle shape that is perfect for showing off on any buffet line while keeping the food warm. The inside of the pan is lined with non-stick surfaces and also has a pour spout at the edge for easy removal of liquids.
The spout also doubles as a spatula or ladle handle when the pan is in use. The handles are foldable and lock the pan in place to the base which are also heat resistant for safety measures. Probably the best feature is that the pan and clear lid are both dishwasher safe when removed from the heating unit. A great electric skillet for anyone looking to buy.
- The handles are heat resistant and also lock the pan in place to keep the skillet from moving around while in use.
- The lid and the skillet pan are easily removed and are both dishwasher safe.
- The pan is equipped with a pour spout which doubles as a utensil holder and the bottom is lined with a non-stick surface for easy cooking and cleaning.
- While the electric skillet is very affordable, it does not come with any warranty.
BELLA (14607) Electric Skillet
The Next Best Thing
This electric skillet will work well in anyone’s kitchen that needs to whip a quick meal in no time. It is priced fairly high though and it does not come with a warranty to protect it. The electric skillet has a large cooking surface area of 12×12 and has a copper coated non-stick surface that conducts heat better than other metals and cooks up to 30% faster.
The body is constructed of reinforced titanium and has cool-to-touch handles. The lid is constructed of tempered glass making it see through and has a small vent to release heat and moisture while cooking. The heat is easily controlled with a removable dial and powered by a 1500-watt heating system. It’s easy to use and easy to clean as it is all dishwasher safe except for the electrical parts.
- The electric skillet has a copper coated non-stick surface that conducts heat better than most metals and will cook food up to 30% faster.
- The handles are cool to touch and the lid is constructed of tempered glass with a small vent to release pressure and moisture.
- The heating system is powered with 1500 watts and is easily controlled by a removable dial.
- The electric skillet is fairly expensive and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Elite Gourmet EG-6203
Large Rectangular Electric Skillet
This electric skillet is just like a few of the others on this list. It is priced a little higher than the others but does come with a 1-year warranty to protect it. The skillet is constructed of cast aluminum and has a honeycomb non-stick surface that makes cooking easy and food release even easier.
The pan has a large cooking surface area and deep walls that will prevent back splashes. The handles and knobs are cool to touch and the lid is constructed of see through tempered glass with a small vent to release moisture.
This large 8-quart electric skillet is powered by a 1500-watt electric heating element that is easy to control with the dial. The entire electric skillet is also dishwasher safe making it easy to clean.
- The temperature is easily controlled by a dial with a 1500-watt powered heating system.
- The handles and knobs are cool to touch, the lid is tempered glass to see in while cooking, and a vent built in to release moisture.
- The skillet is constructed of cast aluminum and has a honeycomb non-stick surface that is completely dishwasher safe.
- Even though it does come protected by a 1-year warranty, it is priced a lot higher than some of the other electric skillets.
De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet with Glass Lid
A Simple Yet Efficient Electric Skillet
This electric skillet is also very affordable but does not come with a warranty. The features are very simple and basic but why complicate things.
The body is constructed of strong cast aluminum with a non-stick coating to prevent sticking. The clear lid and inner pan are both removable from the heat source and dishwasher safe as well. The temperature is easily controlled and promises even cooking throughout the skillet.
- The electric skillet is made of strong die cast aluminum with a non-stick coating.
- The lid and inner pan are both removable and dishwasher safe.
- The temperature is easily controlled with a turn knob dial.
- The electric skillet may be cheap but it does not come with a warranty.
Aroma Housewares AFP-1600S Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
The Best Stainless-Steel Electric Skillet
The next skillet is constructed of strong 18/10 stainless steel which does allow you to use any utensils on the surface but is not ideal when it comes to electric skillets. The pan is also a little more expensive than the previous models and does not come with a warranty.
It does have a large cooking surface area and a clear lid with vents to see what’s going on without removing the lid. Both the lid and the pan are also dishwasher safe as well. The temperature control is easy to use and the pan heats up faster than most electric skillets.
- The skillet is constructed of strong, high quality stainless steel.
- Any type of utensil can be used safely on the pans surface.
- The clear lid and pan are both dishwasher safe.
- The electric skillet is a little more expensive and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Black & Decker SK1215BC Family Sized Electric Skillet
The Best Buffet Style Electric Skillet
If you are planning on entertaining several guests or just have a large family that likes to eat dinner family style, then this is the electric skillet for you. It is a little expensive for what it is and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The large electric skillet is constructed of cast aluminum and has a non-stick coating that releases food easily. The skillet also has deep walls to contain the food and prevent any splashing during the cooking process. The handles and knobs are cool to touch and the lid is constructed of tempered glass that is see through and has a built-in vent to release moisture.
The temperature is controlled by the removable dial and can range from keeping things warm up to 400 degrees. The electric skillet is easy to use and easy to clean as the lid and the base are all dishwasher safe.
- The electric skillet is constructed of cast aluminum and has a non-stick coating that releases food easily.
- The lid is made of tempered glass and has a vent to release moisture while all the handles and knobs are cool to touch.
- The electric skillet has deep walls to prevent splashes, can heat up to 400 degrees and keep things warm.
- It is all dishwasher safe.
- The electric skillet is fairly expensive when compared to others and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
NESCO ES-08 Electric Skillet
The Smallest Electric Skillet
This small electric skillet is incredibly affordable but does not come with a warranty to protect it. The pan is a square shape that is a small 8×8 size but is deeper for more cooking volume and would be ideal for someone with little to no space. The pan is lined with a non-stick coating and the handle is heat resistant. The temperature is easily controlled and only the lid is dishwasher safe, the main pan needs to be handwashed.
- The electric skillet is very small in size for someone who does not have a lot of room to work with but deeper for more volume.
- The temperature is easily controlled and the handles are heat resistant.
- The inner pan has a non-stick coating.
- Only the lid is dishwasher safe.
- The pan may be cheap but does not come with a warranty.
Presto 06620 11-Inch Electric Skillet
The Compact Electric Skillet
Here is another small electric skillet for the person with no room to cook and still very affordable but yet again with no warranty coverage. The inner pan has a non-stick coating and the handles are heat resistant. The cover is made of a special plastic that won’t warp, dent or break but is not clear. The temperature is easily controlled with a dial but the pan and lid are not dishwasher safe.
- The lid may be indestructible but is not clear.
- Has a very small and compact square shape that is deep for more volume cooking.
- The temperature is easily controlled with a dial knob.
- The pan and lid are not dishwasher safe.
- The product may be cheap but has no warranty coverage.
Dash DRG214RD Family Size Rapid Heat Electric Skillet
The Best Family Sized Electric Skillet
This large electric skillet is perfect to make a meal for the whole family all in one pot without creating a bunch of dishes to wash. It is a little expensive when compared to others but does come with a 1-year warranty to protect it. The electric skillet is constructed of cast aluminum with a PFOA free non-stick surface that releases food easily.
The handles and knobs are cool to touch and the lid is made of tempered glass which is see-through with a small vent to release pressure and moisture. The pan is 14 inches in diameter and has deep walls making it able to contain up to 20 cups of volume.
The temperature is easily controlled by a removable dial that is powered with a 1440-watt heating system that can easily reach 450 degrees in no time. The skillet also has slip resistant feet on the bottom to keep it in place while in use and comes with a recipe book. It is easy to use but is not dishwasher safe and needs to be cleaned by hand.
- The electric skillet is constructed of cast aluminum with a PFOA free non-stick surface and a glass tempered lid that has a vent to release moisture.
- The temperature is controlled by a dial with a 1440-watt heating system that can reach up to 450 degrees.
- The feet are slip resistant on the bottom to keep it in place while in use and the handles and knobs are cool to touch.
- The electric skillet is not dishwasher safe.
- While it does come with a 1-year warranty, it is fairly expensive.
In the long run, any of these choices would be a fine choice for a new electric skillet. Just make sure to pick one that best suits your needs because they all have different designs and features which make them all unique.