Owning the best electric skillet can be a huge advantage in many different situations. The main situation you may come across when needing an electric skillet is when you don’t have a stove inside your home or the means to build a fire. Sure, you could use an electric grill for some dishes, but even then, electric skillet is a more versatile tool.
An electric skillet will come in handy if you live in a small quartered home or apartment where all you can use is electricity. Many college dorms also do not have a stove or the ability to use anything but electricity which is where such a skillet will come in handy.
An electric skillet will also use less electricity compared to using a skillet or a sauté pan on an electric or gas stove as well. So, it is safe to say that these kitchen tools are very energy-efficient. They will usually heat up faster than any other pan on the stove and are usually very easy to maintain and control the heat and temperature. Overall, electric skillets will work for just about any job or task in the kitchen.
In this article we will go over the different types of electric skillets and what to look for when choosing one. We will also cover some of the best electric skillets that are available for purchase on the market today and which may be the best choice to best suit your wants and needs.
How to Choose the Best Electric Skillet
Choosing the best electric skillet is really not much different than choosing a normal skillet you would use on the stovetop. Of course, electric skillets are going to have many more added bonus features that a normal skillet would not normally have, but still, the same rules apply when trying to find the best one.
Just like any kitchen appliance or kitchen tool, purchasing an electric skillet that comes with a warranty or guarantee is a must. Since this appliance relies on electricity as the sole heat source for power, there is always a chance of the skillet breaking or malfunctioning while in use. Having a warranty will ease your mind from worries, knowing you are always going to be able to have a new replacement.
You also want to make sure that the electric skillet is made from strong quality materials with excellent construction. This will ensure the longevity of the appliance through usage over time. Some electric skillets come with extra features you wouldn’t find on a normal skillet like a timer or an alarm to alert you when there is a problem or when you need to stir, add water, overheats or any problem for that matter.
It would also be wise to have an electric skillet with a lid and more so one that is clear so you will be able to see inside while you are cooking without having to lift the lid which will cause you to lose any heat or moisture inside the skillet.
Usually, an electric skillet has the ability to also replace some of your other electric appliances like an electric griddle or an electric grill. Some skillets may also come with special tools for cooking or cleaning that will come in handy. Speaking of cleaning, you will want to buy an electric skillet that is very easy to not only use and operate but also clean when you are finished using it. Some may be able to be used in the dishwasher which would be a huge plus, but for the most part, you will need to hand wash it.
An electric skillet with a nonstick surface will definitely help with the cleaning process and not having a lot of nooks and crannies for spills to happen which would make it harder to clean in the long run. Just make sure the electric skillet is protected, safe and easy to use and very easy to clean then you should be fine.
Construction and Design
There are many different sizes and shapes of electric skillets all that operate and heat up differently. The size and shape of the electric skillet will really depend on your preference. Also, the amount of counter space or storage space may also play a role on the shape and size of the skillet but overall it is really not as important.
While they all still use electricity to power up, the construction of each will determine how well they will work. Make sure the skillet is constructed of quality materials that will not fall apart overtime. You will want to have an electric skillet that is sturdy and has some weight to it to keep it in place while in use but no too heavy to where it is hard to maneuver or move around when not in use.
Having rubber stopper legs or a mat for placement will also help the skillet to not move around while in use as well. Other added features are not really all that necessary but do come in handy if you plan on using the electric skillet for other things. Like a pour spout on the pan can make it easier to remove food from the pan.
Having a pan that has a nonstick surface will definitely come in handy for cleaning and for the cooking process just like an electric griddle would work. Allowing your food to stick to the bottom of the pan is never a good idea.
Another great feature would be to have the electric skillet double as a buffet serving dish or chafing dish like you would use a crock pot for. This makes it easy to keep the food warm while your guests retrieve food from the pan.
Another important feature that goes hand in hand with serving to your guests would be to have heat resistant handles and surfaces all over the pan. You wouldn’t want someone or yourself to burn themselves on the exterior of the pan. Make sure to look for special features that may fit your needs then go with the best option available.
9 Best Electric Skillets
Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
The Best Electric Skillet
Our first electric skillet up for grabs is really the best option available for anyone. It has everything you could want in an electric skillet and then some. Plus, it is very affordable compared to most electric skillets but does not come with a warranty.
The electric skillet is well constructed of strong cast aluminum and has a rectangle shape that is perfect for showing off on any buffet line while keeping the food warm. The inside of the pan is lined with non-stick surfaces and also has a pour spout at the edge for easy removal of liquids.
The spout also doubles as a spatula or ladle handle when the pan is in use. The handles are foldable and lock the pan in place to the base which are also heat resistant for safety measures. Probably the best feature is that the pan and clear lid are both dishwasher safe when removed from the heating unit. A great electric skillet for anyone looking to buy.
- The handles are heat resistant and also lock the pan in place to keep the skillet from moving around while in use.
- The lid and the skillet pan are easily removed and are both dishwasher safe.
- The pan is equipped with a pour spout which doubles as a utensil holder and the bottom is lined with a non-stick surface for easy cooking and cleaning.
- While the electric skillet is very affordable, it does not come with any warranty.
Zojirushi EP-PBC10 Gourmet d’Expert Electric Skillet
The Next Best Thing
The next electric skillet works almost the same way a crock pot works and it kind of looks like one too with its circular shape. This product may be a little more expensive than the last one but it does come with a limited warranty to protect it.
The inner pot is made of polished ceramic, just like a crock pot which works just as well as non-stick surfaces. The pan is also adjustable for different styles of cooking like grilling, sautéing or stewing. The handles are also heat-resistant which lock the inner bowl in place and keep it from moving around while cooking. The temperature is also easily controlled for different cooking styles.
- The electric skillet comes with a limited warranty.
- The handles are heat resistant and lock the inner pot in place to keep it from moving around while in use.
- The pan is adjustable and the temperature is easily controlled for different styles of cooking.
- The electric skillet is not dishwasher safe and is a little more expensive than most.
Hamilton Beach 38529 Durathon Ceramic Electric Skillet
Decent Dishwasher-Safe Electric Skillet
This skillet is very similar to the Presto 06857 and it has the same price, shape and size. It has some of the same qualities as the other but not near as much.
The pan can be easily removed along with the clear lid and are both dishwasher safe without the heating unit attached. The inner lining is coated with non-stick that won’t crack or peel over time like most other coatings. The handles are heat resistant and the temperature is easily controlled up to 400 degrees. It is affordable but doesn’t have a warranty to protect it.
- The inner lining is non-stick that won’t crack or peel over time.
- The inner pan and clear lid are both dishwasher safe.
- The temperature is easily controlled up to 400 degrees.
- While the price is very affordable, there is no warranty to protect it.
De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet with Glass Lid
A Simple Yet Efficient Electric Skillet
This electric skillet is also very affordable but does not come with a warranty. The features are very simple and basic but why complicate things.
The body is constructed of strong cast aluminum with a non-stick coating to prevent sticking. The clear lid and inner pan are both removable from the heat source and dishwasher safe as well. The temperature is easily controlled and promises even cooking throughout the skillet.
- The electric skillet is made of strong die cast aluminum with a non-stick coating.
- The lid and inner pan are both removable and dishwasher safe.
- The temperature is easily controlled with a turn knob dial.
- The electric skillet may be cheap but it does not come with a warranty.
Aroma Housewares AFP-1600S Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
The Best Stainless-Steel Electric Skillet
The next skillet is constructed of strong 18/10 stainless steel which does allow you to use any utensils on the surface but is not ideal when it comes to electric skillets. The pan is also a little more expensive than the previous models and does not come with a warranty.
It does have a large cooking surface area and a clear lid with vents to see what’s going on without removing the lid. Both the lid and the pan are also dishwasher safe as well. The temperature control is easy to use and the pan heats up faster than most electric skillets.
- The skillet is constructed of strong, high quality stainless steel.
- Any type of utensil can be used safely on the pans surface.
- The clear lid and pan are both dishwasher safe.
- The electric skillet is a little more expensive and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet
The Second Choice of Steel Skillets
When it comes to skillets, stainless steel rules supreme, but not in electric which this one is. This one also costs twice as much as the last and still has no warranty to protect it.
It does have a clear lid to view the cooking process and the pan and lid are both dishwasher safe. The cooking surface area is one of the largest out there but the pan is a little too short for comfort. The pan heats up very quickly to 450 degrees and stays there.
- The temperature is easily controlled by dial up to 450 degrees.
- The lid and the pan are both dishwasher safe.
- The pan has a large cooking surface area.
- The pan may be too short for cooking some items.
- The skillet is quite expensive and does not come with a warranty.
NESCO ES-08 Electric Skillet
The Smallest Electric Skillet
This small electric skillet is incredibly affordable but does not come with a warranty to protect it. The pan is a square shape that is a small 8×8 size but is deeper for more cooking volume and would be ideal for someone with little to no space. The pan is lined with a non-stick coating and the handle is heat resistant. The temperature is easily controlled and only the lid is dishwasher safe, the main pan needs to be handwashed.
- The electric skillet is very small in size for someone who does not have a lot of room to work with but deeper for more volume.
- The temperature is easily controlled and the handles are heat resistant.
- The inner pan has a non-stick coating.
- Only the lid is dishwasher safe.
- The pan may be cheap but does not come with a warranty.
Presto 06620 11-Inch Electric Skillet
The Compact Electric Skillet
Here is another small electric skillet for the person with no room to cook and still very affordable but yet again with no warranty coverage. The inner pan has a non-stick coating and the handles are heat resistant. The cover is made of a special plastic that won’t warp, dent or break but is not clear. The temperature is easily controlled with a dial but the pan and lid are not dishwasher safe.
- The lid may be indestructible but is not clear.
- Has a very small and compact square shape that is deep for more volume cooking.
- The temperature is easily controlled with a dial knob.
- The pan and lid are not dishwasher safe.
- The product may be cheap but has no warranty coverage.
Copper Chef 12″ Removable Electric Skillet
The Best Copper Electric Skillet
The last in the list has some drawbacks but is still a viable choice, it’s just a little different. It is similar in price to most of the affordable electric skillets and surprisingly, comes with a 60-day warranty.
The inner pan is made of copper with a non-stick coating and a clear lid for viewing during cooking. The pan rests on the heat element base but does not lock in place which could be problematic. The pan can heat up very quickly and lock the heat in the pan for longer than most other designs due to the copper. The pan needs to be handwashed but the lid is dishwasher safe.
- The electric skillet is very affordable and comes with a 60-day warranty.
- The copper construction allows the pan to heat up quickly and lock the heat in.
- The surface of the pan is coated with non-stick lining.
- The lid is dishwasher safe but the pan needs to be handwashed.
- The pan rests on the heating element base but does not lock in place which is dangerous.
In the long run, any of these choices would be a fine choice for a new electric skillet. Just make sure to pick one that best suits your needs because they all have different designs and features which make them all unique.
You may also like
9 Best Meat Grinders to Use at Your Kitchen in 2019
- Presto 06857 16-inch Electric Foldaway Skillet
- Zojirushi EP-PBC10 Gourmet d’Expert Electric Skillet
- Hamilton Beach 38529 Durathon Ceramic Electric Skillet
- De’Longhi BG45 Electric Skillet with with Glass Lid
- Aroma Housewares AFP-1600S Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
- Cuisinart CSK-150 1500-Watt Nonstick Oval Electric Skillet
- NESCO ES-08 Electric Skillet
- Presto 06620 11-Inch Electric Skillet
- Copper Chef 12″ Removable Electric Skillet