8 Best Cutting Boards for Your Kitchen
You probably wouldn’t think it but the lonely cutting board is the main kitchen tool that gets used more than any other in the kitchen. Usually people have a set of them so they don’t have to wash them every day or some have a standard immobile butcher block on their counter that they are constantly using for everything even if you don’t need a cutting board. But there are many different kinds, shapes sizes and styles of cutting boards out there and each one is constructed to serve a different purpose, not just a place to cut things on.
Each cutting board is going to be better at doing or cutting something specific due to its design or construction.
In this article we will go over some of the different kinds of cutting boards out there as well as look into what you need to look for when purchasing the best cutting board. We will also go over some of the best cutting boards available for purchase on the market today and which one may be the best fit for you and your kitchen needs.
How to Choose the Best Cutting Board
When it comes to choosing a new cutting board you need to think about what you will be using it for mainly. If you are looking for a set of cutting boards then there are plenty of wooden or plastic styles out there for purchase that will work great for you.
Whether you will be using a santoku knife or a chef knife there are some that are color-coordinated to fit specific cutting applications on particular foods. Such as blue is for fish, red is for raw meat, yellow is for chicken, brown is for cooked meat, green is for vegetable and white is for dairy. This ensures that the cutting board is only used for that one particular food item so there are never foodborne illnesses or cross-contamination. It’s sort of a kosher way of looking at cutting boards.
You want to make sure that the cutting boards are made with high-quality materials anyways. For the most part, they will be made in either wood or plastic and within those types, so many options available. There are other types of cutting boards available, but they just are not as common as others are.
No matter what you decide to go with you want to make sure that they are not only easy to use but easy to clean. For the most part, plastic cutting boards are going to be dishwasher safe. This is not as common in wood as the water will seep into the wood and warp it or create bacteria build-up or rot.
Just in case any of this happens or anything else for that matter, it is wise to try and get a cutting board with a manufacturer guarantee or a warranty to protect it from damages or defects that may occur while in use. Just like sharpening stones, cutting boards can surprisingly be quite expensive so better safe than sorry.
Construction and Design
When it comes to the construction and design of cutting boards, there are two types that reign supreme, plastic and wood. With these two materials, so many different types of cutting boards are available.
People like to think wooden cutting boards, especially the type have the square patterns like butcher blocks are the best to get. They are solid, sturdy and will usually last a lifetime if they are treated properly.
There may be some limitations with wooden cutting boards when compared to plastic but they are very menial at best when looking at it from afar. They will cost you more than any other plastic cutting board and may look nicer but that does not always mean that they will be the best.
Plastic cutting boards are the type that can come in color-coordinated as mentioned before, they are usually dishwasher safe, much cheaper to purchase and usually lightweight and compact.
There are some plastic cutting boards that are very plastic so you could roll them up for small storage space or take with you traveling or camping. They will not last as long as the wooden boards or look as nice on the kitchen counter so you need to think what is most important to you.
Either way, there are several other features that both types of boards can have. Make sure to try and get one with rubber stoppers or a solid base to keep the board from sliding around while in use. The heavier boards really won’t need this.
Some of the boards also have a ring dugout around the edge. This is to catch any juices or blood when cutting or slicing meat with a carving knife. There are also some that come with a little waste basket that attaches to them so everything can be swept to the side for easy cleanup and not much of a headache.
Best Cutting Boards for Your Kitchen
Virginia Boys Kitchens Walnut Wood Cutting Board
The Best Wooden Cutting Board
First up on the list is one of the best cutting board we have seen yet. It is a little expensive but when compared with other wooden cutting boards, it’s about right in the perfect price range. It also comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
This large cutting board is 17 by 11 and comes constructed of rich black walnut wood. It also comes unfinished, so you can have the choice of seasoning the board or placing a different wax on the board. The cutting board also has a built-in juice catcher ring around the cutting board and rubber stoppers on the bottom to keep it in place while in use.
The hardwood will not dull knives a or create deep scratches and cuts within the wood once used. You must clean it by hand though and it is not dishwasher safe, this will ruin it.
- The large 17×11 cutting board is constructed of rich black walnut that will not dull your knives or create scratches.
- The cutting board comes at a reasonable price and comes with a lifetime warranty.
- The cutting board has rubber stoppers on the base to keep it in place while in use.
- The cutting board is not dishwasher safe and needs to be cleaned by hand.
Sonder Los Angeles Acacia Wood Cutting Board
The Next Best Thing
This next cutting board is still just as great as the first just with different materials and design. The board is a little cheaper than the last cutting board and it comes with a 1-year warranty to protect it. The cutting board is a large 16×12 size and has a 2-inch thickness.
The cutting board is made of the highly sustainable acacia wood and is stronger than ever. The board has inverted carrying handles and a juice ring catcher around the top of the board. It is hard enough to sustain even the strongest of knives like cleavers when used. The board does need to be cleaned by hand and is not dishwasher safe.
- The cutting board is constructed of acacia wood that is strong enough to be used as a butcher block.
- There are handles carved into the sides and a deep juice catcher around the top.
- The board is more than affordable and also comes with a 1-year warranty to protect it.
- The cutting board needs to be cleaned by hand and is not dishwasher safe.
Royal Craft Wood Organic Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
The Best Bamboo Cutting Board
Bamboo cutting boards are great because the wood is just as hard as any other and it will not soak up as much liquids. This will cause less cross-contamination and a lesser risk of creating bacteria within the wood of the board. This board comes at a very affordable price with a 100% money-back guarantee. The bamboo will not damage any knives when used on them and limits the dulling of the edge.
There are inverted handles for carrying and a juice groove that goes all the way around the board. The board looks great and is still large enough to double it as a serving tray for meats and cheeses. The board is not dishwasher safe and needs to be cleaned by hand.
- The cutting board is constructed of bamboo that will absorb less liquids and reduce the risk of food borne illnesses.
- The product is very affordable and comes with a 100% money back guarantee.
- There are inverted handles on the bottom and the cutting board can double as a serving tray.
- The cutting board is not dishwasher safe and needs to be cleaned by hand.
OXO Good Grips Cutting and Carving Board
The Best Plastic Cutting Board
This cutting board is considered plastic but is actually constructed of polypropylene which is odor resistant, non-porous and durable. They are also very easy to clean and can be washed in the dishwasher safely. There are rubber placements at the ends of the cutting board to keep it in place while in use. It is also reversible as both sides can be used without creating any damages to the cutting board or your knife.
It is lightweight and compact making it easy for travel and storage reasons. The product is a little expensive for being synthetic and also does not come with a warranty to protect it. Either way it is still a great cutting board and used by many.
- The cutting board is constructed of polypropylene which is odor resistant and durable.
- The board in non-porous and reversible due to the rubber placements at the ends to keep it in place while in use.
- It is very lightweight, easy to store and easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe.
- The cutting board is little more expensive than others and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
John Boos Block 213 Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Cutting Board
The Well-Known Cutting Board
This cutting board everyone should know about because you see them everywhere. They are the top choice of cutting boards on cooking shows, showrooms, and clean kitchens. It doesn’t mean they are the best but they look great and have been around forever. The boards are a little more expensive but do come with a 1-year warranty to protect them.
The cutting board is a large 18×12 size constructed of solid northern rock maple wood which is all one piece and very strong. The base has a nonslip bottom and the board has some weight to it so it should move much when in use. There is no juice ring around it and it must best washed and dried by hand.
- The has a strong base with a non-slip bottom to keep it in place while in use.
- The cutting board has been constructed of solid hard wood maple that will not damages knives or surfaces.
- The cutting board is protected by a 1-year warranty.
- There is no juice ring catcher and the board needs to be washed and dried by hand.
Royal Craft Wood Thick Bamboo Wood Cutting Board
The Bamboo Butcher Block
Here is another great bamboo cutting board made by the same company as the last one. It does cost just a little bit more than the other one but still comes with the same money-back guarantee. The cutting board is a bit smaller at 13×11 and is constructed of bamboo which is still antimicrobial and antibacterial due to its resistance to liquids and odors.
The board is raised a little higher than the other and it able to be used with the heaviest of knives and still be used as a serving tray. There are handles at the bottom of the board and s juice ring catcher than goes all around the top of the board. The board still needs to be cleaned by hand and is not dishwasher safe.
- The cutting board is constructed of bamboo which is antimicrobial and antibacterial.
- It is resistant to most liquids and odors while still being able to be used as a serving tray.
- The surface is strong enough to take strong knives that will not be damaged or dulled when used.
- The board is a little smaller than the other and needs to be cleaned by hand.
Heim Concept Organic Bamboo Cutting Board
The Deal Saver
This bamboo cutting board is constructed of bamboo but is designed to look like a high-quality wooden board. The strength is still there but with the look of an expensive board. The board is the highest priced bamboo board and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
The board is impervious to liquids and odors which make is safe when it comes to food borne illnesses. There are a few rubber stoppers on the bottom to keep it in place while in use and a juice ring catcher around the top of the board. The board does need to be cleaned by hand and is not dishwasher safe.
- The cutting board is resistant to odors and liquids which make it antibacterial and antimicrobial.
- There is a juice ring around the top of the board and handles on the side.
- There are rubber stoppers on the bottom to keep it in place while in use.
- The board is a little more expensive than the other and does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Surface Saver Vance 20 X 16 inch Clear Tempered Glass Cutting Board
The Glass Cutting Board
This is the glass cutting board which in most people’s opinion is the worst material for a cutting board. They only have one upper hand and that is that no liquids or odor can enter the glass making it the safest for food borne illnesses plus they are easy to clean and dishwasher safe. The glass cutting board is also a little expensive and doesn’t come with a warranty to protect it.
They may be tempered but that doesn’t mean if you drop it or bang it around that it won’t break. They may look nice but they will break eventually. They can be hard to cut on and may have the tendency to ruin your knifes edge. Its best to not go with any glass cutting board.
- They are impervious to all liquids and odors.
- The cutting board is easy to clean and is dishwasher safe.
- There are rubber stoppers on the bottom of the board to keep it in place while in use.
- The glass cutting board is prone to breaking and damages.
- There is no warranty to protect it and they are fairly expensive.
For the final thoughts, get any kind of cutting board you want, just don’t buy a glass one. Real wooden ones are great for showing off while bamboo boards are more meant for durability while still being wooden. The synthetic boards are great too and easy to clean. Many professional kitchens use synthetic boards because they are easy to clean and can take a beating over and over again. If you are going to go with anything for usability, go with the synthetic boards.