The Best Cheese Slicers in 2022
As a home cook, you may be asking yourself, “why do I need the best cheese slicer when I can just use a chef knife to cut my cheeses?”. Well, unless you are a professional chef then you may want to think about investing in one. The main reason is closely related to the reason you would buy the best meat slicer to cut all your meats. To make sure all your cheese is cut uniform to each other and of the exact same size. Or maybe you want to make several different sizes while still keeping them uniform as well.
Yes, you could use any old knife to cut the cheese but the best cheese slicer will do so much more for you and in half the time with less of a headache to boot.
In this article, we will go over some of the things to look for when purchasing the best cheese slicer such as construction and design of the product. We will also cover some of the cheese slicers available for purchase on the market today and which of these may be the right fit for you.
How to Choose the Best Cheese Slicer
When it comes to cheese slicers, there are basically two different types. The first is usually a small hand tool that is similar to a vegetable peeler. They tend to be sturdy and dishwasher safe for the most part. While they can be inexpensive, they can be a little harder to use and will only cut the cheese into one size or shape. This is not all the models but is still pretty consistent with that.
The other type is sort of like a horizontal guillotine that is attached to a cutting board. It is very similar to a paper cutter in a sense. The cutting board can be made of just about any material and the guillotine is usually a straight, thin piece of wire that is attached at both sides and moves up and down to cut through cheese easily. These types can cut through any type of cheese whether it is super soft and gooey or extremely hard and dense. They can also cut in different shapes and sizes.
Depending on what you will need a cheese slicer for will determine which type of cheese slicer to purchase. Using a cheese slicer is very simple and the steps are very basic.
No matter what type you decide to buy, you will want to make sure that the cheese slicer comes with a warranty to protect it from any defects or damages that may occur while in use. If there is no warranty, then it is usually a red flag that the company has little faith in their product’s life span and durability. Even if the product was very cheap to buy, you will still want a warranty or guarantee to come with the product just like you would if you were buying a pasta maker or a set of knives.
Construction and Design
As mentioned before, there are basically two types of cheese slicer designs. However, some of the models within these categories will differ from each other depending on their capabilities and special features. Make sure to look for a cheese slicer that has multiple options available for cutting cheese. Also, make sure you are comfortable using and handling the cheese slicer. No point in buying a fancy hand tool that doesn’t feel right in your hand or that you don’t know how to use properly.
When it comes to the actually construction of the cheese slicer, you will want to make sure you go with the best cheese slicer that is constructed of quality materials. For the handheld cheese slicers, they are just like any other hand tool such as a vegetable peeler or a cheese grater. Make sure to buy a quality hand tool made of strong stainless steel with a comfortable and durable handle that is able to be washed in a dishwasher.
For the cheese slicers with a base cutting board attached to them, make sure the base is also made of quality materials. They do make these kinds in plastic and they can tend to be flimsy and not carry any weight to actually cut the cheese on. This can be dangerous for someone who doesn’t use these products and may not be the best choice.
Some of the cutting boards are made of heavy marble slabs to keep the base in one place so it doesn’t slide around while in use. The cheese will also move easier on a marble or glass board rather than a wooden or plastic base. The wire that is used to cut the cheese is all very similar across the board. But you will want to make sure the wire is held tightly and maybe even a feature that allows you to adjust the tension of the wire.
Some of these models allow you to change the wire when they become dull or overused. Changing the wire on a cheese slicer can seem daunting but is actually pretty easy if you follow the correct steps. For the most part, make sure the cheese slicer has been thoughtfully designed and constructed, otherwise you may find yourself buying a new one very quickly.
Best Cheese Slicers
Bellemain Adjustable Thickness Cheese Slicer
The Best Hand Tool Cheese Slicer
This handheld cheese slicer is the best on our list because it comes with all the best features, plus it is very cheap coming in at only $10. The cheese slicer is also protected by a 1-year warranty.
The slicer is constructed of a single piece of zinc alloy and the wire is made of razor-sharp stainless steel so you know it will last forever. The cheese slicer is also adjustable so you can cut cheese as thick or as paper thin as you want. While this is all great, the handle does not have a slip resistant grip. It is also limited to only cutting cheese into slices rather than different shapes.
- The cheese slicer is constructed of zinc alloy with a razor-sharp stainless-steel wire.
- The cheese slicer is adjustable so you can cut cheese thick or thin.
- The slicer is very cheap to purchase and comes with a 1-year warranty to protect it.
- The handle is not made of slip resistant material.
- The cheese slicer can only cut slices and no other shapes.
Westmark Stainless Steel Wire Cheese Slicer
The Runner Up Hand Tool Cheese Slicer
For just a few extra dollars, this handheld, German-made cheese slicer could be yours as well. It also comes with a 5-year limited warranty with the original purchase.
The cheese slicer is constructed of cast aluminum and the wire and roller are made of stainless steel. It is able to cut through soft cheese as well as hard cheeses. However, it can only cut one size of slice. It is also not dishwasher safe and must be hand washed.
- Constructed of high-quality cast aluminum with stainless steel rollers and wire.
- Able to cut through any type of cheese whether it is soft or very hard.
- The product is very inexpensive and comes with a 5-year warranty to protect it.
- The cheese slicer is not dishwasher safe.
- Is able to only cut cheese in one size of slices.
OXO 1071567 Cheese Slicer
The Most Comfortable Cheese Slicer
This cheese slicer may not have all the bells and whistles as the other two but it does seem to be more comfortable to use.
The hand held slicer is constructed of die cast zinc alloy with a stainless-steel wire. The wire is able to cut through most cheeses and is easily replaced. It also comes with a replacement wire when the time comes to change it. The handle is also a soft and slip resistant material. There is also a tension wheel to loosen or tighten the wire to your liking. However, this cheese slicer is about twice as much as the other two and does not come with a warranty.
- The slicer is constructed of die cast zinc alloy with stainless steel wire that is easily replaced.
- The handle is slip resistant and very comfortable to use.
- There is a tension wheel to adjust the wire from loose to tight.
- It costs about twice as much as the other slicers and comes with no warranty.
- It is not dishwasher safe and can only cut cheese in one size.
Norpro Heavy Duty Adjustable Cheese Slicer
The Junior Handheld Cheese Slicer
This cheese slicer is almost identical to the first one we reviewed. It is made of the same materials and comes with a replacement wire. The cheese slicer is also adjustable to cut different sizes of cheese. However, it is much smaller in size than the first cheese slicer. It is about the same cheap price but does not come with a warranty to protect it like the other does.
- Constructed of zinc alloy with stainless steel wires that are easily replaced.
- Comes with a replacement wire.
- Is able to be adjusted to create different sizes of slices.
- The cheese slicer is on the smaller side.
- There is no warranty and it is not dishwasher safe.
OXO 3114300 Good Grips Non-Stick Cheese Slicer
The Innovative Cheese Slicer
This cheese slicer differs from the others because of its design. It is shaped like a spatula and uses a built-in blade rather than a wire to cut the cheese.
The slicer is made of a non-stick metal that allows the cheese to fall from the slicer without sticking. The handle is also very comfortable and is slip resistant. While the cheese slicer is only $10, it does not come with any warranty and can only cut cheese in one size.
- The spatula shape design makes it easy to slice cheese.
- The non-stick head releases cheese after being cut and reduces sticking.
- The handle is not only comfortable but is also slip resistant.
- The cheese slicer can only cut cheese into one size and does not come with a warranty.
Westmark Multipurpose Stainless Steel Cheese and Food Slicer
The Multipurpose Cheese Slicer
This cheese slicer is also different from the rest we have shown thus far. It is the other style which uses a base and a straight edged mounted blade to cut the cheese, just like a paper cutter.
While the body is poorly constructed of lightweight plastic, the blade is made of high-quality stainless steel so it will hold an edge longer and the handle is made of cast aluminum to give the structure some weight. There is also a built-in adjustable scale to help you determine the size of the cuts and is able to cut many other things such as vegetable and fruits. The product is really cheap and comes with a 5-year warranty to protect it. However, it is not dishwasher safe.
- The blade is made from high quality stainless steel and the handle is cast aluminum.
- The cheese slicer is also able to cut other items like fruits and vegetables.
- The product is very inexpensive and comes with a 5-year warranty to protect it.
- The base of the cheese slicer is made of lightweight plastic which could prove to be dangerous.
- The cheese slicer is not dishwasher safe.
Prodyne 126-B Bamboo Cheese Slicer
The Average Base Cheese Slicer
Here is a pretty good deal on a base style cheese slicer that comes with a lifetime warranty for wire breakages only.
The base is made of two-tone 12″x6″ bamboo which is a bit smaller than most base cheese slicers. The bottom of the cutting board has rubber feet to prevent slipping while in use. The wire and handle are easy to use and are replaceable under warranty. The model is not dishwasher safe though and may be too small for some blocks of cheese.
- The base board is constructed of two-tone bamboo and has rubber feet to prevent slipping while in use.
- The cheese slicer is only $15 and comes with a warranty against wire breakages.
- The stainless-steel wire is easy to use and easily replaceable.
- The product is not dishwasher safe and may be too small to cut some cheeses.
Boska Holland 307063 Stainless Steel Cheese Slicer
The Easy-to-Use Cheese Slicer
Here is another hand tool cheese slicer that is easy to use and perfect for any beginner. The model is also very cheap to purchase and comes with a 10-year warranty to protect it as well.
The cheese slicer is constructed of high-quality stainless-steel and has a beveled edge to cut through most cheeses. However, it is only designed to cut through very dense and hard cheeses. And to top it off, this is the first and only cheese slicer that is dishwasher safe.
- The hand tool cheese slicer is very affordable and comes protected by a 10-year warranty.
- The product is completely dishwasher safe.
- It is constructed of stainless steel and can cut through very dense and hard cheeses.
- It cannot cut through softer cheeses and will only make a mess.
- Can only cut cheese into one size.
- The cutting edge may become dull overtime.
Fox Run Marble Cheese Slicer
The Smallest Base Style Cheese Slicer
This cheese slicer comes in at a very small size of only 8”x5”. This means it is very compact and easy to store but may not be big enough for some cheeses.
The base is constructed of 100% black marble which gives an elegant appearance as well as function. The base is very heavy and the on the bottom there are rubber feet to maintain a sturdy and unmovable base while cutting cheese. The razor-sharp wire is made of stainless steel and comes with two replacement wires which are easy to fix. While the cheese slicer is around $20, it does not come with a warranty to protect it.
- The cheese slicer has a heavy black marble base and rubber feet to prevent any movement while in use.
- The wire is made of stainless steel and comes with two replacement wires.
- Has the ability to cut soft cheeses as well as dense cheeses.
- It is very small so it will be hard to cut larger blocks of cheese with it.
- The slicer is not protected by a warranty.
- It is not dishwasher safe.
So, if you have made a decision on which route to take, just make sure the slicer you buy will get the job done efficiently. There are many different types and each has a specific use for slicing cheese, so make sure the one you get will best suit your wants and needs. Make sure the cheese slicer is also a quality product that you won’t have to replace over and over again. Even if you don’t get the best cheese slicer, you can ease your worries because, for the most part, they are all very affordable.
You may also like
Table of Contents
- How to Choose the Best Cheese Slicer
- Best Cheese Slicers
- Bellemain Adjustable Thickness Cheese Slicer
- Westmark Stainless Steel Wire Cheese Slicer
- OXO 1071567 Cheese Slicer
- Norpro Heavy Duty Adjustable Cheese Slicer
- OXO 3114300 Good Grips Non-Stick Cheese Slicer
- Westmark Multipurpose Stainless Steel Cheese and Food Slicer
- Prodyne 126-B Bamboo Cheese Slicer
- Boska Holland 307063 Stainless Steel Cheese Slicer
- Fox Run Marble Cheese Slicer