7 Best Bench Scrapers in 2020
You may not think it, but if you are a baker, using the best bench scraper is like using your third arm. If you work with dough a lot, then chances are you will be using a bench scraper constantly. A bench scraper is an essential tool you may find in a bakery just like a flour sifter or a rolling pin and is just as important. They are also known as dough knives or dough scrapers. They can be used for many other types of actions, but they work best as the baker’s best friend.
In this article, we will go over some of the different types of bench scrapers and which works the nest for each job. We will also cover some of the best bench scrapers available for purchase on the market today and which one may be the best fit for you and your needs.
How to Choose the Best Bench Scraper?
When choosing the best bench scraper, it is important to know what you will be using it for. A bench scraper doesn’t always have to be used in the kitchen and has many other uses for it. There are only a few different types of bench scrapers but most of those are made from different materials which could prove helpful or hurtful to the type of work you are in.
First and foremost, you want to make sure the bench scraper has been constructed with quality materials, no matter the kind. Just like your baking pans, you don’t want a bench scraper that may break the first week you get it. Even though they are fairly inexpensive, it is important to protect your purchase in the event it does fail. Make sure to purchase a bench scraper that comes with some kind of manufacturers guarantee or at least a warranty that will protect it in case and damages or defects occur while in use or during the shipping process.
A bench scraper is a fairly easy to use and straight forward kitchen tool, but make sure it is easy to use and fits the correct application you need it for. There is no much to clean on a bench scraper but one that is dishwasher safe will take down your workload a bit when it is time to clean up.
Design and Construction
As far as every bench scraper is concerned on design, they all generally look the same. Most common design is a square or small rectangle with round edges on top, sort of how a santoku knife looks like without the handle. However, the materials they are constructed from will change the design sometimes.
For instance, metal scrapers are just what they say they are, metal and dense. A plastic bench scraper can sometimes be flexible which will make it easier to grab items out a bowl or porous tabletop. It will also be safe to use on non-stick surfaces and wont scratch or ruin wooden or finished tables.
They may not be as a strong and prone to damages but they will work great for other kitchen methods. That doesn’t mean that the metal is crap. Most metal bench scrapers are used in a commercial kitchen where there are many stainless-steel surfaces around. Metal bench scrapers are hard to break or damage and usually will last a lifetime. They are stronger and able to with stand a lot of weight and much more pressure when applied.
Make sure to get a handle that is comfortable and easy to handle. Most metal scrapers will be metal or wood even, while plastic is all the same. But some bench scrapers have a nonstick grip applied to them or are contoured to fit your hand when used. There is not much to a bench scraper but it is still wise to shop around when selecting a new one.
Best Bench Scrapers
Rachael Ray Stainless Steel Pastry Scraper
The Best Metal Bench Scraper
This bench scraper is actually one of kind all in its own. The bench scraper is kind of overpriced considering its functionality, but it does come with a lifetime guarantee.
The bench scraper is constructed of stainless steel and is offset at the top of the handle to create small sides on the edges. It basically makes a scoop for when you ae done slicing or chopping your foods with the edge of the bench scraper. The handle has a ribbed grip which is slip resistant, making the bench scraper very easy to control. It is very easy to use and also very easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe. While this bench scraper is more designed to be a secondary knifer in the kitchen it will still work well for bakers as well.
- The handle is offset to create a scoop within the bench scraper.
- The handle is ribbed and slip resistant to make handling easy.
- The bench scraper is dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
- The blade has a sharp edge which may make it unsuitable for wood and finished table tops.
- The bench scraper is fairly expensive.
Winware Stainless Steel Dough Scraper with Wood Handle
The Classic Bench Scraper
The look of this bench scraper is the classic look you would find in any bakery or commercialized kitchen. The bench scraper is reasonably priced but does not come with a warranty. The bench scraper is constructed of stainless steel and is the standard 6 by 3 inches in shape. There is a strong and sturdy wooden handle which makes it easy to control. The kitchen tool is easy to use and easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe as well.
- The bench scraper has a strong and sturdy wooden handle.
- The tool is constructed of stainless steel.
- It is easy to use and easy to clean which is dishwasher safe.
- The unit may be cheap to purchase but does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Norpro Stainless Steel Scraper/Chopper
The Baker’s Best Friend
This bench scraper will help a baker out more than you think. It is very reasonably priced but does not come with a warranty to protect it. The tool is constructed of stainless steel and so is the handle. The handle is also curved to created extra grip and control. The base of the bench scraper has a 6-inch ruler on it to aid in many different applications. The tool is easy to use and is dishwasher safe.
- The kitchen tool is constructed of stainless steel and so is the handle.
- The handle is curved to fit your hand and create extra control for chopping.
- The bench scraper is dishwasher safe.
- The kitchen tool is reasonably priced but does not come with a warranty to protect it.
Orblue Pastry Scraper and Cutter
The Next Best Thing
This next bench scraper is very similar to the last one and will also help bakers and cooks alike. It does cost a little more than the others but does come with a lifetime warranty to protect it. The scraper is constructed of stainless steel and has a ruler at the base of 6 inches. The handle is rubber and is slip resistant to create extra control and easy handling. The tool is very easy to use and is dishwasher safe. The edge is also sharp enough to cut vegetables and other food items.
- The handle is slip resistant and absorbs pressure when applied to the tool.
- The bench scraper is constructed of stainless steel and has a 6-inch ruler at the base.
- The kitchen tool is dishwasher safe.
- Even though it comes with a lifetime warranty to protect it, the bench scraper is quite expensive when compared to others.
Mercer Culinary Hell’s Handle Bench Scraper
The Chef’s Scraper
This next bench scraper is made to be used for a flat top grill but can be used for other methods too. The bench scraper is quite expensive but it is covered and protected by a lifetime warranty. The blade of the scraper is constructed of strong Japanese steel and has a ruler of 6 inches at the base.
The handle is a heat resistant handle that absorbs 50 % less heat when used. The tool is easy to use and easy to clean as it is dishwasher safe as well.
- The handle is heat resistant and has a cool and comfortable grip.
- The blade is constructed of stainless steel and has a 6-inch ruler at the base.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- While it does come with a warranty to protect it, it is quite expensive when compared to others.
Bleteleh Extra Large Commercial Bench Scraper
The Big Boy
This next bench scraper is much larger than the others on the list coming in at 10 inches in length. It is very expensive, almost twice as much as others but does come with a lifetime warranty to protect it.
The blade is constructed of high carbon stainless steel which is strong enough to cut vegetable and dough alike. The handle has a comfortable grip that is slip resistant and makes it easy to control. It is very easy to clean and it is dishwasher safe.
- The bench scraper is 10 inches in length which is almost twice as long as others.
- The blade is construed of stainless steel and has a ruler at the base.
- The handle is slip resistant and it is dishwasher safe.
- While it does come with a lifetime warranty, it is the most expensive bench scraper on our list.
KitchenAid KO068OHPIA Gourmet Bowl Scraper
Two for the Price of One
This next set comes with two different bench scrapers for different applications. They are not really used for cutting dough but more for a chef. They are priced quite high but do come with a lifetime warranty.
The first one is constructed of silicone and is heat resistant up to 450 degrees. It is meant to be used to scrape out bowls because it is flexible. The other is constructed of nylon and is heat resistant up to 400 degrees. It is flexible as well and is used to scrape out pots and pans. It can even be used on non-stick surfaces. The kitchen tools are very easy to use and are both dishwasher safe.
- The silicone bench scraper is used to scrape the inside of bowls and can be used on any surface.
- They are both heat resistant and dishwasher safe.
- The nylon bench scraper is used to scrape out pots and pans, even non-stick surfaces.
- While it does come with a lifetime warranty, it is priced quite high when compared to others.
For the most part, most bench scrapers will be the same and can be used for many applications. But if you are looking for one for a specific task, then you need to know what you will be using it for. This will help you to find what type of bench scraper you will need. Other than that, shopping for one will be fairly easy.